The mission of the ACCM Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Council is to develop and nurture a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture for all members in the Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine Medicine (ACCM) at all campuses of Johns Hopkins Medicine.
We aim to achieve this mission with the guidance of the Department Director and the ACCM Executive Committee. Additionally, we will work with the Office of Diversity, Inclusion, and Health Equity to create educational activities, and engage in training.
Johns Hopkins Multicultural Calendar
The Johns Hopkins Medicine Multicultural Calendar notes the holidays and observances celebrated by our rich community of races, ethnicities and faiths:
Our DEI Domains
- Community Outreach: Identify community activities or initiate community engagement strategies that promote diversity and inclusion.
- Recruitment and Retention: Work to develop strategies to ensure recruitment and thriving of a diverse workforce all areas of ACCM.
- Promotions/Advancement: Work to develop strategies that help faculty and staff attain promotions and professional advancement.
- Education:Develop educational initiatives that increase health equity knowledge, celebrate cultural diversity, and enhance cultural sensitivity.
- Patient Care and Research: Identify opportunities to investigate healthcare disparities impacting patients’ health and opportunities for intervention to improve health equity.
Pathways in Medicine Discovery Lab
Pathways in Medicine: Discovery Lab is a program we launched to inspire and empower medical students from backgrounds underrepresented in medicine to pursue academic medical careers.
DEI Council Monthly Meetings
We hold meetings on the last Wednesday of every month to discuss updates and upcoming opportunities.
Note from the Vice Chair
Hello, my name is Michael C. Banks, MD, MEHP and I am the Vice Chair for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion for the Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine. Through diversity and inclusion, our department will have access to more talent, broader knowledge, and deeper insight that will help our department and each other to grow professionally and personally.
My vision for this role is to create a team to: 1) help URM, women, LGBTQ+ faculty, and persons with disabilities (Underrepresented in Medicine: UiM) achieve promotion through development programs; 2) increase the number of UiM faculty; 3) attract more UiM fellows and residents into ACCM training programs through outreach; 4) create programs to educate ourselves about the benefits of diversity and inclusion and the harms that bias causes; 5) Advocate for patients by identifying disparities that impact patient health and make changes.
I am excited to take on this position. I would appreciate it if you would contact me with your ideas and assistance in making ACCM stronger and more successful.
Michael Banks, MD, MEHP
Vice Chair for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Katie O’Conor, MD
Chief Diversity & Equity Officer