|Sapna Kudchadkar, MD, PhD was awarded an NIH/NIDDK R01 for “Protein Optimization with Exercise to Improve Muscle Mass and Functional Outcomes (PROXIMUS)”, a multi-site clinical trial collaboration with Boston Children’s Hospital.
Qing Lin, MD, PhD was awarded a 3-year Career Development grant from the American Heart Association (AHA) for my project titled “Contribution of Human Resistin-Regulated Neutrophils to Pulmonary Vascular Remodeling.”
Katherine Macmillan, MD was awarded a $2500 grant from TraumaNet to fund a community outreach project educating families about drowning and promoting prevention.
|Accomplishments and Honors|
|Mary Beth Brady, MD, FASE presented on the program for the IARS, AUA, SOCCA, and eSAS 2022 Scholars’ Day Meeting. The topic was “Presentation Skills: The Do’s, the Don’ts, and the Disasters.” The Scholars’ Program is specifically designed for early-stage anesthesiology scholars and focuses on topics unique to them, such as sharpening skills and best practices, career and publishing advice, and networking.
Steven Cohen, MD recorded the inaugural interview for Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine’s new monthly podcast for his article entitled ‘Multicenter study evaluating factors associated with treatment outcome for low back pain injections’, which included co-author Tina Doshi. Available at: https://www.asra.com/the-asra-family/asra-family/asra-updates/2022/03/30/regional-anesthesia-pain-medicine-journal-launches-new-monthly-podcast
Steven Cohen, MD delivered the opening keynote lecture at American Academy of Pain Medicine in Scottsdale, AZ and delivered other lectures on pain management in austere environments, sacroiliac joint pain and postamputation pain at AAPM and ASRA-Pain Medicine in March 2022.
Steve Frank, MD gave a talk titled “Perioperative Viscoelastic Testing” at UPMC (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center), and a talk titled “Evidence-based Transfusion Practice and Blood Management Programs” to San Antonio Regional Medical Center in Los Angeles, CA.
Anjali Garg, MD, Katie O’Conor, MD, and co-authors led a workshop titled “Survivor-Informed, Multidisciplinary Training for Medical Providers” at the Maryland Child Trafficking Conference.
Anita Gupta, DO, PharmD, MPP received the National Academies of Practice’s Patient Advocacy Award, which recognizes a patient or care partner whose lived experience transformed him or her, and who in turn is transforming healthcare to enhance the well-being of others.
Hannah Lonsdale, MBChB, FRCA, MFCI presented at the International Anesthesia Research Society annual meeting as part of a panel discussion on “Development, Implementation, and Maintenance of Machine Learning Models in Anesthesiology.”
Hannah Lonsdale, MBChB, FRCA, MFCI also presented at the Society for Critical Care Medicine Spring Investigator’s Meeting on “Machine Learning for Patient Specific Prediction.”
Katie O’Conor, MD led the workshop “Teaching and Modeling Trauma-Informed Care in Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine” at the Society for Education in Anesthesia Spring Meeting in Pittsburgh, PA. Dr. O’Conor co-led another SEA workshop with Michael Banks, MD, MEHP, titled “Developing Learner-Centered Health Equity Education.” Dr. O’Conor also co-hosted the national conference “B’more Health Symposium: Seeing and Serving Human Trafficking Survivors” and gave a presentation titled “Ten Insights for Healthcare Professionals on Interdisciplinary Human Trafficking Education and Response.”
New eBook: Cardiovascular Remodeling in Aging and Disease, edited by Lakshmi Santhanam, PhD, Jochen Steppan, Daniel Nyhan, MD, MBBCh. Available on Google Books here and on the Frontiers in Physiology website as a pdf:
Deborah Schwengel, MD, MEHP received the Philip Liu Innovations in Anesthesia Education Award for Best Research Abstract from the Society for Education in Anesthesia.
Tina Tran, MD co-led a workshop titled “The ‘One-Minute Preceptor’: A Framework for Making the Most Out of a Teachable Moment” at the SEA Spring Meeting.
Tricia Vecchione, MD, MPH was an instructor at the Society for Pediatric Pain Medicine Meeting workshop titled “Fascial Plane Blocks: Expanding Pediatric Regional Anesthesia for Everyday Practice” and at the MOCA Simulation course at the Society for Pediatric Anesthesiology Meeting in Tampa, FL.
Tricia Vecchione, MD, MPH also moderated an expert roundtable at the SPA Meeting titled “Current Options for Perioperative Anxiolysis- Routes, Tips, Tricks and Agents.”
|Basic and Translational Research
1. Dahal P, Simpson JA, Abdulla S, Achan J, Adam I, Djimde AA, Grivoyannis AD, Price RN. WorldWide Antimalarial Resistance Network Falciparum Haematology Study Group. Haematological consequences of acute uncomplicated falciparum malaria: a WorldWide Antimalarial Resistance Network pooled analysis of individual patient data. BMC Med. 2022 Mar 7;20(1):85.
2. Mansoor R, Commons RJ, Douglas NM, Achan J, Adam I, Djimde AA, Grivoyannis AD, Guerin PJ, Stepniewska K, Price RN. WorldWide Antimalarial Resistance Network Methodology Study Group. Temporal distribution of Plasmodium falciparum recrudescence following artemisinin-based combination therapy: an individual participant data meta-analysis. Malar J. 2022 Mar 24;21(1):106.
1. Al-Kawaz M, Cho SM, Gottesman RF, Suarez JI, Rivera-Lara L. Impact of cerebral autoregulation monitoring in cerebrovascular disease: a systematic review. Neurocrit Care. 2022 Apr 5. doi: 10.1007/s12028-022-01484-5. Online ahead of print.
2. Cho J, Park H, Kang D, Park E, Chung CR, Cho J, Kudchadkar SR. Rehabilitation in critically ill children: Findings from the Korean National Health Insurance database. PLoS One. 2022 Mar 31;17(3):e0266360.
3. Cohen SP, Wang EJ, Doshi TL, Vase L, Cawcutt KA, Tontisirin N. Chronic pain and infection: An evidence-based review of mechanisms, etiologies, conditions, treatments and controversies. BMJ Medicine 2022; 1: e000108.
4. Greenberg JK, Olsen MA, Johnson GW, Ahluwalia R, Hill M, Hale AT, Belal A, Baygani S, Foraker RE, Carpenter CR, Ackerman LL, Noje C, Jackson EM, Burns E, Sayama CM, Selden NR, Vachhrajani S, Shannon CN, Kuppermann N, Limbrick DD Jr. Measures of intracranial injury size do not improve clinical decision making for children with mild traumatic brain injuries and intracranial injuries. Neurosurgery. 2022 Mar 16. doi: 10.1227/NEU.0000000000001895. Online ahead of print.
5. Hwang J, Bronder J, Martinez NC, Geocadin R, Kim BS, Bush E, Whitman G, Choi CW, Ritzl EK, Cho SM. Continuous electroencephalography markers of prognostication in comatose patients on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Neurocrit Care. 2022 Apr 11. doi: 10.1007/s12028-022-01482-7. Online ahead of print.
6. Kim J, Erice C, Rohlwink UK, Tucker EW. Infections in the developing brain: the role of the neuro-immune axis. Front Neurol. 2022 Feb 17;13:805786.
7. Lonsdale H, Gray GM, Ahumada LM, Yates HM, Varughese A, Rehman MA. The perioperative human digital twin. Anesth Analg. 2022 Apr 1;134(4):885-892.
8. Masaracchia MM, Lee M, Dalesio NM. Obesity in childhood. BMA Educ. 2022 Feb 22. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjae.2021.12.003. Online ahead of print.
9. Rosner EA, L Parker J, Vandenberg C, Bridges BC, Kilbaugh TJ, Bembea MM, Chima RS, Potera RM, Sandhu HS, Barbaro RP, Tarquinio KM, Cheifetz IM, Friedman ML. Flexible bronchoscopy in pediatric venovenous extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Respir Care. 2022 Mar 29:respcare.09243. doi: 10.4187/respcare.09243. Online ahead of print.
10. Samen CDK, Sutton O, Rice AE, Zaidi MA, Siddarthan IJ, Crimmel SD, Cohen SP. Correlation between temperature change after sympathetic block and immediate and intermediate-term pain outcomes in patients with complex regional pain syndrome. Pain Med 2022 Mar 2:pnac035. doi: 10.1093/pm/pnac035. E-pub ahead of print.
11. Shoskes A, Hassett C, Gedansky A, Starling RC, Estep JD, Tong MZY, Cho SM, Uchino K. Implications of causes of intracranial hemorrhage during left ventricular assist device support. Neurocrit Care. 2022 Apr 12. doi: 10.1007/s12028-022-01494-3. Online ahead of print.
12. Shou BL, Ong CS, Zhou AL, Al-Kawaz MN, Etchill E, Giuliano K, Dong J, Bush E, Kim BS, Choi CW, Whitman G, Cho SM. Arterial carbon dioxide and acute brain injury in venoarterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. ASAIO J. 2022 Mar 16. doi: 10.1097/MAT.0000000000001699. Online ahead of print.
13. Steppan J, Nyhan D, Santhanam L. Editorial: Cardiovascular remodeling in aging and disease. Front Physiol. 2022 Mar 7;13:867185.
14. Tonna JE, Selzman CH, Bartos JA, Presson AP, Ou Z, Jo Y, Becker LB, Youngquist ST, Thiagarajan RR, Austin Johnson M, Cho SM, Rycus P, Keenan HT. The association of modifiable mechanical ventilation settings, blood gas changes and survival on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for cardiac arrest. Resuscitation. 2022 Mar 21;174:53-61. doi: 10.1016/j.resuscitation.2022.03.016. Online ahead of print.
15. Vecchione T, Boretsky K. Concerns regarding “Regional anesthesia and acute compartment syndrome: principles for practice.” Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2022 Apr 11. doi: 10.1136/rapm-2022-103612. Online ahead of print.
16. Wang EJ, Cohen SP. Chronic postoperative pain and microorganisms: The good, the bad, and the ugly. Anesth Analg 2022; 134: 696-8.
17. Xu R, Kalluri AL, Sun LR, Lawrence CE, Lee JK, Kannan S, Cohen AR. The neurosurgical management of Severe Hemophilia A and Moyamoya (SHAM): challenges, strategies, and literature review. Childs Nerv Syst. 2022 Mar 9. doi: 10.1007/s00381-022-05489-5. Online ahead of print.
1. Murphy M, Pahwa A, Dietrick B, Shilkofski N, Blatt C. Time management and task prioritization curriculum for pediatric and internal medicine subinternship students. MedEdPORTAL. 2022 Feb 22;18:11221.
2. Patel S, Carter G, Minton D, Hunsberger JB, Koka R, Collins R, Shoemaker L, Toy S, Kudchadkar SR. Feasibility, implementation, and outcomes of in situ simulation-based curriculum to manage common emergencies in the pediatric post-anesthesia care unit. J Pediatr Nurs. 2022 Mar 1;64:84-90. doi: 10.1016/j.pedn.2022.02.007. Online ahead of print.
Quality & Safety
1. Garg A, Panda P, Malay S, Slain KN. Human trafficking ICD-10 code utilization in pediatric tertiary care centers within the United States. Front Pediatr. 2022 Feb 18;10:818043.
2. Hensley NB, Ariyo PT, Holmes SD, Williams MS, Whitman GJR, Ad N, Metkus TS, on behalf of the Maryland Cardiac Surgical Quality Initiative. Center variation in use of preoperative dual antiplatelet therapy and platelet function testing at the time of coronary artery bypass grafting in Maryland. Anesth Analg. 2022. Online ahead of print.
3. LaRosa JM, Nelliot A, Zaidi M, Vaidya D, Awojoodu R, Kudchadkar SR. Mobilization safety of critically ill children. Pediatrics. 2022 Apr 1;149(4):e2021053432.
Health Equity & Population Health
1. Heidari O, Meyer D, O’Conor KJ, et al. COVID-19 vaccination and communicable disease testing services’ integration within a syringe services program: a program brief. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2022 Jan 12; online ahead of print. .
2. O’Conor KJ, Golden SH, Hughes MT, Sisson SD, Kachalia A. COVID-19 vaccination: health care organizations’ responsibility and opportunity. Am J Public Health. 2022 Feb;112(2):213-215.