Caitlin O’Brien, MD, MPH, was awarded a JHU COVID-19 Bridge Grant to study physiologic feedback-guided pediatric CPR algorithms.
Accomplishments and Honors
Steve Frank, MD, spoke at the New York Society of Anesthesiologists (PGA meeting) on “Patient Blood Management: A Culture Change: Using Informatics, Report Cards, and Much More.” He also gave a talk at the 2021 Anesthesiology Academic Conference, organized by the Anesthesia Branch of Zhejiang Medical Association (Zhejiang, China), titled “Evidence-based Transfusion Practice and Patient Blood Management Programs.”
Carlie Myers, MD, MS, received a Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) STAR Research Achievement Award recognizing excellence in critical care research for her abstract “Pediatric Health Disparities: The Role of Built Environment on Pediatric Critical Illness.” Additionally, her case report, titled “Congenital Toxoplasmosis and the Developing Brain,” written with senior author Corina Noje, was selected for a Research Snapshot Presentation during the SCCM 51st Critical Care Congress.
John Sampson, MD, will receive the Peter Safar Global Partner Award at the Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) conference in February. This award is presented annually to an individual, hospital, or organization that expands the global reach of SCCM.
Lakshmi Santhanam, PhD, gave a research seminar at the Department of Anesthesiology at Washington University in St. Louis titled “Mechanisms of Arterial Stiffening in Aging.”
Rosanne Sheinberg, MD, ABoIM, has been accepted for a joint appointment in Oncology based on her clinical, education, and research activities with integrative medicine in oncologic patients and effective dissemination of evidence-based, rational integrative oncologic care. She has successfully created a practice within the women’s breast cancer program at Johns Hopkins.
Robert Stevens, MD, received the NIDUS (Network for Investigation of Delirium: Unifying Scientists) II Collaborative Award.
Robert Stevens, MD, was nominated Section Editor of the journal Intelligence-Based Medicine. Additionally he was featured in the JHU Hub article on decoding motion in the Neuroscience Critical Care Unit. Find the article at this link.
M-Irfan Suleman, MD, has been promoted to the rank of Associate Professor.
Basic and Translational Research
- Gaastra B, Alexander S, Bakker MK, Bhagat H, Bijlenga P, Blackburn S, Collins MK, Doré S, Griessenauer C, Hendrix P, Hong EP, Hostettler IC, Houlden H, K II, Jeon JP, Kim BJ, Kumar M, Morel S, Nyquist P, Ren D, Ruigrok YM, Werring D, Galea I, Bulters D, Tapper W. Genome-wide association study of clinical outcome after aneurysmal subarachnoid haemorrhage: protocol. Transl Stroke Res. 2022; in press.
- Gordon O, Brosnan MK, Yoon S, Jung D, Littlefield K, Ganesan A, Caputo CA, Li M, Morgenlander WR, Henson SN, Ordonez AA, De Jesus P, Tucker EW, Peart Akindele N, Ma Z, Wilson J, Ruiz-Bedoya CA, Younger MEM, Bloch EM, Shoham S, Sullivan D, Tobian AA, Cooke KR, Larman B, Gobburu JV, Casadevall A, Pekosz A, Lederman HM, Klein SL, Jain SK. Pharmacokinetics of high-titer anti-SARS-CoV-2 human convalescent plasma in high-risk children. JCI Insight. 2021; in press.
- Hollinger KR, Sharma A, Tallon C, Lovell L, Thomas AG, Zhu X, Wiseman R, Wu Y, Kambhampati SP, Liaw K, Sharma R, Rojas C, Rais R, Kannan S, Kannan RM, Slusher BS. Dendrimer-2PMPA selectively blocks upregulated microglial GCPII activity and improves cognition in a mouse model of multiple sclerosis. Nanotheranostics. 2022; 6:126-142.
- Kang J, Liu X, Cao S, Zeiler SR, Graham EM, Boctor EM, Koehler RC. Transcranial photoacoustic characterization of neurovascular physiology during early-stage photothrombotic stroke in neonatal piglets in vivo. J Neural Eng. 2022; 18.
- Kim JH, Shustorovich A, Arel AT, Downie SA, Cohen SP, Kim SY. Genicular nerve anatomy and its implication for new procedural approaches for knee joint denervation: a cadaveric study. Pain Med. 2022; 23:144-151.
- Tallon C, Sharma A, Zhang Z, Thomas AG, Ng J, Zhu X, Donoghue A, Schulte M, Joe TR, Kambhampati SP, Sharma R, Liaw K, Kannan S, Kannan RM, Slusher BS. Dendrimer-2PMPA delays muscle function loss and denervation in a murine model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Neurotherapeutics. 2022; in press.
- Alexander PMA, Checchia PA, Ryerson LM, Bohn D, Eckerle M, Gaies M, Laussen P, Jeffries H, Thiagarajan RR, Shekerdemian L, Bembea MM, Zimmerman JJ, Kissoon N. Cardiovascular dysfunction criteria in critically ill children: the PODIUM Consensus Conference. Pediatrics. 2022; 149:S39-s47.
- Balit CR, LaRosa JM, Ong JSM, Kudchadkar SR. Sedation protocols in the pediatric intensive care unit: fact or fiction? Transl Pediatr. 2021; 10:2814-2824.
- Bronder J, Cho SM, Geocadin RG, Ritzl EK. Revisiting EEG as part of the multidisciplinary approach to post-cardiac arrest care and prognostication: A review. Resusc Plus. 2022; 9:100189.
- Cohen SP, Doshi TL, Kurihara C, Reece D, Dolomisiewicz E, Phillips CR, Dawson T, Jamison D, Young R, Pasquina PF. Multicenter study evaluating factors associated with treatment outcome for low back pain injections. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2022; 47:89-99.
This publication was associated with the first-ever Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine monthly podcast.
- Di Nardo M, Ahmad AH, Merli P, Zinter MS, Lehman LE, Rowan CM, Steiner ME, Hingorani S, Angelo JR, Abdel-Azim H, Khazal SJ, Shoberu B, McArthur J, Bajwa R, Ghafoor S, Shah SH, Sandhu H, Moody K, Brown BD, Mireles ME, Steppan D, Olson T, Raman L, Bridges B, Duncan CN, Choi SW, Swinford R, Paden M, Fortenberry JD, Peek G, Tissieres P, De Luca D, Locatelli F, Corbacioglu S, Kneyber M, Franceschini A, Nadel S, Kumpf M, Loreti A, Wösten-Van Asperen R, Gawronski O, Brierley J, MacLaren G, Mahadeo KM. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in children receiving haematopoietic cell transplantation and immune effector cell therapy: an international and multidisciplinary consensus statement. Lancet Child Adolesc Health. 2021; in press.
- Goel V, Kaizer A, Patwardhan AM, Ibrahim M, DeSimone DC, Sivanesan E, Shankar H. Postoperative oral antibiotic use and infection-related complications after spinal cord stimulator surgery. Neuromodulation: Technology at the Neural Interface. 2022; in press.
- Goel V, Kumar V, Patwardhan AM, Ibrahim M, Sivanesan E, Darrow D, Shankar H. Procedure-related outcomes including readmission following spinal cord stimulator implant procedures: a retrospective cohort study. Anesth Analg. 2021; in press.
- Hobbs CV, Woodworth K, Young CC, Jackson AM, Newhams MM, Dapul H, Maamari M, Hall MW, Maddux AB, Singh AR, Schuster JE, Rowan CM, Fitzgerald JC, Irby K, Kong M, Mack EH, Staat MA, Cvijanovich NZ, Bembea MM, Coates BM, Halasa NB, Walker TC, McLaughlin GE, Babbitt CJ, Nofziger RA, Loftis LL, Bradford TT, Campbell AP, Patel MM, Randolph AG. Frequency, characteristics and complications of COVID-19 in hospitalized infants. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2021; in press. Supported by the CRC.
- Liu K, Nakamura K, Katsukawa H, Nydahl P, Ely EW, Kudchadkar SR, Takahashi K, Elhadi M, Gurjar M, Leong BK, Chung CR, Balachandran J, Inoue S, Lefor AK, Nishida O. Implementation of the ABCDEF bundle for critically ill ICU patients during the COVID-19 pandemic: a multi-national 1-day point prevalence study. Front Med (Lausanne). 2021; 8:735860.
- Magid-Bernstein JR, Li Y, Cho SM, Piran PJ, Roh DJ, Gupta A, Shoamanesh A, Merkler A, Zhang C, Avadhani R, Montano N, Iadecola C, Falcone G, Sheth K, Qureshi A, Rosand J, Goldstein J, Awad I, Hanley D, Kamel H, Ziai WC, Murthy SB. Cerebral microbleeds and acute hematoma characteristics in the ATACH-2 and MISTIE III trials. Neurology. 2021; in press.
- Nellis ME, Karam O, Valentine SL, Bateman ST, Remy KE, Lacroix J, Cholette JM, Bembea MM, Russell RT, Steiner ME, Goobie SM, Tucci M, Stricker PA, Stanworth SJ, Delaney M, Lieberman L, Muszynski JA, Bauer DF, Steffen K, Nishijima D, Ibla J, Emani S, Vogel AM, Haas T, Goel R, Crighton G, Delgado D, Demetres M, Parker RI. Executive summary of recommendations and expert consensus for plasma and platelet transfusion practice in critically ill children: from the Transfusion and Anemia EXpertise Initiative-Control/Avoidance of Bleeding (TAXI-CAB). Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2022; 23:34-51.
- Nellis ME, Remy KE, Lacroix J, Cholette JM, Bembea MM, Russell RT, Steiner ME, Goobie SM, Vogel AM, Crighton G, Valentine SL, Delaney M, Parker RI. Research priorities for plasma and platelet transfusion strategies in critically ill children: from the Transfusion and Anemia EXpertise Initiative-Control/Avoidance of Bleeding. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2022; 23:e63-e73.
- Qureshi AI, Lobanova I, Huang W, Ishfaq MF, Broderick JP, Cassarly CN, Martin RH, Macdonald RL, Suarez JI. Lessons learned from phase II and phase III trials investigating therapeutic agents for cerebral ischemia associated with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurocrit Care. 2021; in press.
- Sanchez-Pinto LN, Bembea MM, Farris RW, Hartman ME, Odetola FO, Spaeder MC, Watson RS, Zimmerman JJ, Bennett TD. Patterns of organ dysfunction in critically ill children based on PODIUM criteria. Pediatrics. 2022; 149:S103-s110.
- Savarraj JPJ, Burkett AB, Hinds SN, Paz AS, Assing A, Juneja S, Colpo GD, Torres LF, Cho S-M, Gusdon AM, McCullough LD, Choi HA. Pain and other neurological symptoms are present at 3 months after hospitalization in COVID-19 patients. Frontiers in Pain Research. 2021; 2.
- Schlapbach LJ, Weiss SL, Bembea MM, Carcillo JA, Leclerc F, Leteurtre S, Tissieres P, Wynn JL, Zimmerman J, Lacroix J. Scoring systems for organ dysfunction and multiple organ dysfunction: the PODIUM Consensus Conference. Pediatrics. 2022; 149:S23-s31.
- Singh V, Cohen SP. Prolonging sympathetic blockade for complex regional pain syndrome: is botulinum toxin the answer? Anesthesiology. 2021; in press.
- Srinivasan V, Lee JH, Menon K, Zimmerman JJ, Bembea MM, Agus MSD. Endocrine dysfunction criteria in critically ill children: the PODIUM Consensus Conference. Pediatrics. 2022; 149:S84-s90.
- Wainwright MS, Guilliams K, Kannan S, Simon DW, Tasker RC, Traube C, Pineda J. Acute neurologic dysfunction in critically ill children: the PODIUM Consensus Conference. Pediatrics. 2022; 149:S32-s38.
- Wang X, Tanna GLD, Moullaali TJ, Martin RH, Shipes VB, Robinson TG, Chalmers J, Suarez JI, Qureshi AI, Palesch YY, Anderson CS. J-shape relation of blood pressure reduction and outcome in acute intracerebral hemorrhage: A pooled analysis of INTERACT2 and ATACH-II individual participant data. Int J Stroke. 2022; in press:17474930211064076.
- Lloyd MC, Ratner J, La Charite J, Ortiz R, Tackett S, Feldman L, Solomon BS, Shilkofski N. Addressing trauma and building resilience in children and families: standardized patient cases for pediatric residents. MedEdPORTAL. 2021; 17:11193.
- Schwengel DA, Divito A, Burgess N, Yaache M, Greenberg RS, Walsh G, Toy S. Influx! A game-based learning tool for in-hospital interprofessional disaster preparedness and response. Br J Anaesth. 2021; in press.
- Kennedy C, Doyle NM, Pedigo R, Toy S, Stoner A. A novel approach to operating room readiness for airborne precautions using simulation-based clinical systems testing. Paediatr Anaesth. 2021; in press.
- Kim SY, Daley K, Pruski AD, AlFarra T, Azola A, Gonzalez Fernandez M, Keszler MS, Friedel S, Haaf H, Segall H, Lien P, Cypher J, Mazariegos J, Raghavan P. Implementation of a framework for telerehabilitation in clinical care across the continuum during COVID-19 and beyond. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2022; 101:53-60.
- Annapragada AV, Greenstein JL, Bose SN, Winters BD, Sarma SV, Winslow RL. SWIFT: A deep learning approach to prediction of hypoxemic events in critically-Ill patients using SpO2 waveform prediction. PLoS Comput Biol. 2021; 17:e1009712.
- Grant MC, Anderson TA. Laying the first brick: a foundation for medical investigation through big data. Anesth Analg. 2022; 134:5-7.
- Kim HB, Nguyen HT, Jin Q, Tamby S, Gelaf Romer T, Sung E, Liu R, Greenstein JL, Suarez JI, Storm C, Winslow RL, Stevens RD. Computational signatures for post-cardiac arrest trajectory prediction: importance of early physiological time series. Anaesth Crit Care Pain Med. 2021; in press:101015.
- Krachman JA, Patricoski JA, Le CT, Park J, Zhang R, Gong KD, Gangan I, Winslow RL, Greenstein JL, Fackler J, Sochet AA, Bergmann JP. Predicting flow rate escalation for pediatric patients on high flow nasal cannula using machine learning. Front Pediatr. 2021; 9:734753.
- Suarez JI. Big data/AI in neurocritical care: maybe/summary. Neurocrit Care. 2021; in press.
- Cifra CL, Custer JW, Fackler JC. A research agenda for diagnostic excellence in critical care medicine. Crit Care Clin. 2022; 38:141-157.
- Keebler JR, Rosen MA, Sittig DF, Thomas E, Salas E. Human factors and ergonomics in healthcare: industry demands and a path forward. Hum Factors. 2022; in press:187208211073623.
- Schuette J, Zaccagni H, Donohue J, Bushnell J, Veneziale K, Gaies M, Tabbutt S. Assessing data accuracy in a large multi-institutional quality improvement registry: an update from the Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care Consortium (PC(4)). Cardiol Young. 2021; in press:1-6.
- Sick-Samuels AC, Cosgrove S, Rock C, Salinas A, Oladapo-Shittu O, Gurses AP, Vecchio-Pagan B, Osei P, Hsu YJ, Jacak R, Zudock KK, Blount KM, Bowden KV, Keller S. Improving physical distancing among healthcare workers in a pediatric intensive care unit. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2021; in press:1-6.
- Su L, Kudchadkar SR. Optimizing human performance in ICUs. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2022; 23:65-67.