Sapna Kudchadkar, MD, PhD, received a 5-year R01 award from the NIH for her project titled “Clinical Effectiveness of the “PICU Up!” Multifaceted Early Mobility Intervention for Critically Ill Children: A pragmatic, stepped-wedge trial.” This clinical trial will evaluate the effect of the PICU Up! intervention on patient outcomes across 10 hospitals in the United States using a mixed-methods approach.
Carlie Myers, MD, an ACCM PICU fellow, received a Nexus Award for Collaborative Behavioral, Social and Systems Science Data Projects from the Institute for Clinical and Translational Research (ICTR). The ICTR, which was very impressed with her proposal, is providing $8000 to fund her project, titled “Pediatric health disparities: The role of built environment on pediatric critical illness within Baltimore.”
Accomplishments and Honors
Drs. Meghan Bernier and Amanda Levin were recognized by the pediatric residents for their commitment to resident teaching as part of the Teaching Honor Roll.
Mary Beth Brady, MD, FASE, ACCM’s vice chair for education, received the distinction of Anesthesiology Women of Excellence (AWEsome Woman) from the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiology (SCA). This acclaim recognizes preeminent women in the field of cardiovascular anesthesiology. As part of the SCA Anesthesiology Women of Excellence Project, Dr. Brady was interviewed regarding her role in cardiovascular anesthesiology. In this interview, Dr. Brady specifically highlights the mentorship of some ACCM colleagues/alumni, including Drs. Dan Nyhan, Brett Simon, and Lee Fleisher.
Steve Cohen, MD, was elected treasurer of the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine (ASRA).
Steve Frank, MD, gave grand rounds at the University of Oklahoma Department of Anesthesiology on “Evidence-based Transfusion Practice and Blood Management Programs” and at Boston Children’s Hospital Department of Anesthesiology with a talk titled “Why Patient Blood Management?”
Anita Gupta, MD, was part of the Milken FasterCures group advising on global pandemic responses. The group has published its report, titled A Global Early Warning System for Pandemics: Mobilizing Surveillance for Emerging Pathogens.
Nadia Hensley, MD, participated in an invited speaker exchange lecture at Mayo School of Medicine on June 9th. The title of her talk was “Clopidogrel Tuesday, CABG Thursday, OK?”
Carlie Myers, MD, received an award for “Best overall research design and methodology in health disparities and equity-based research” at the resident/fellow achievement day for her project titled “Pediatric health disparities: The role of built environment on pediatric critical illness within Baltimore,” which is being funded by the ICTR.
Drs. Ed Nguyen, Clarissa Tomeldan, and Joe Walpole presented their webinar entitled “Crowdsourcing Best Practices in Ambulatory Anesthesia“ to the Society of Ambulatory Anesthesia (SAMBA) on April 29, 2021.
Corina Noje, MD, was invited to be one of the guest experts on the Pediatric Transport episode of the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Pediatric Emergency Medicine podcast.
Jochen Steppan, MD, was elected to serve on the International Committee in the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists. Additionally, he will give grand rounds at Mercy Medical Center on June 10. The title of his talk is “Perioperative Management of Pulmonary Hypertension – A vascular Disease with Clinical Impact.”
Irfan Suleman, MD, was an invited Zoom speaker at the Multidisciplinary Chronic Pain Management, Family Practice conference at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio on June 9th. Additionally, his tips for getting children vaccinated for COVID-19 are featured on the Johns Hopkins Children’s Center website: Making COVID-19 Vaccine Shots Easier on Children.
In May, the Pediatric Transport Team (pediatric critical care nurses, EMS, respiratory therapists, pediatric critical care fellows) was awarded the Outstanding Program of the Year Star of Life Award by the Maryland Institute of Emergency Medical Services Systems. This program is the only commercial transport program ever to have received this distinction.
An article published recently by Gary Logan in Johns Hopkins Medicine News and Publications describes the story of a young girl who developed complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) after sustaining a mild knee injury. After months of pain, uncertainty, and needing a wheelchair, she found relief with the help of Dr. Irfan Suleman, director of the pediatric chronic interventional pain program at Johns Hopkins Children’s Center and medical director of the multidisciplinary pediatric chronic pain rehabilitation program at Kennedy Krieger institute. Dr. Suleman and his team were able to provide noninvasive rehabilitation and coping strategies that allowed the girl not only to walk again but to dance. Read the full, heartwarming story.
The Department of Anesthesiology congratulates the following individuals for receiving Educational Awards for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Charles Beattie Teaching Award: Dr. Dave Berman
- Scott Mittman Best Clinical Teacher Award: Robert Sikorski
- Best Didactic Teacher: Gillian Isaac
- Most Innovative Teacher: Christina Miller
- Rising Faculty Award: Andrew Wang
- Resident Advocacy Award: Andrew Wang
- Research Mentor: Sean Berenholtz (nominated by Sean Love)
- Andy Collins Distinguished Service Award: Andrew Wang
- Outstanding Resident Award: Desiree Coutinho
- Zenobia Casey, MD, Citizenship Award: Madeleine Alvin
- Elizabeth Martinez, MD, Leadership Award: Morgan Yang
- Resident Achievement Award for Test Performance: Ashley Kass
- CA3 Resident of the Year Award: Jane Leavy
- CA2 Resident of the Year Award: Henry Claude Francois
- CA1 Resident of the Year Award: Gabriel Prada
- Mark Rossberg, MD, Award for Outstanding Pediatric Anesthesia Fellow Teaching Award: Matthew DiGiusto
- Clinical Excellence in Regional Anesthesia Award presented by Hospital for Special Surgery, New York: Morgan Yang
Basic and Translational Research
- Han M, Pandey D. ZMPSTE24 regulates SARS-CoV-2 spike protein-enhanced expression of endothelial plasminogen activator inhibitor-1. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2021; in press.
- Han X, Ren H, Nandi A, Fan X, Koehler RC. Analysis of glucose metabolism by (18)F-FDG-PET imaging and glucose transporter expression in a mouse model of intracerebral hemorrhage. Sci Rep. 2021; 11:10885.
- Kammers K, Taub MA, Rodriguez B, Yanek LR, Ruczinski I, Martin J, Kanchan K, Battle A, Cheng L, Wang ZZ, Johnson AD, Leek JT, Faraday N, Becker LC, Mathias RA. Transcriptional profile of platelets and iPSC-derived megakaryocytes from whole-genome and RNA sequencing. Blood. 2021; 137:959-968.
- Kammers K, Taub MA, Mathias RA, Yanek LR, Kanchan K, Venkatraman V, Sundararaman N, Martin J, Liu S, Hoyle D, Raedschelders K, Holewinski R, Parker S, Dardov V, Faraday N, Becker DM, Cheng L, Wang ZZ, Leek JT, Van Eyk JE, Becker LC. Gene and protein expression in human megakaryocytes derived from induced pluripotent stem cells. J Thromb Haemost. 2021; in press.
- Kong C, Liu L, Liu Y, Yuan X, Guan Y, Gao Y, Chen X. Intradural neuroanatomy in the cervical spinal canal: importance of a new anatomic zone division and accurate assessment of neural compression in myeloradiculopathy patients. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2021; 46:703-709.
- Williams MS, Yanek L, Ziegelstein RC, McCann U, Faraday N. Racial differences in platelet serotonin polymorphisms in acute coronary syndrome. Thromb Res. 2021; 200:115-120.
- Amin RM, Puvanesarajah V, Chaudhry YP, Best MJ, Rao SS, Frank SM, Hasenboehler EA. Reducing unnecessary crossmatching for hip fracture patients by accounting for preoperative hemoglobin concentration. World J Orthop. 2021; 12:292-300.
- Bembea MM, Ng DK, Carroll M, Roem JL, Groopman J, Caprarola SD, McElrath Schwartz J, Felling RJ, Salorio CF, Ellis G, Graham D, Everett AD. Cyclohexanone exposure in children on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation support. ASAIO J. 2021; in press.
- Carlson JM, Etchill EW, Enriquez CAG, Peeler A, Whitman GJ, Choi CW, Geocadin RG, Cho SM. Population characteristics and markers for withdrawal of life-sustaining therapy in patients on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2021; in press.
- Cohen SP, Vase L, Hooten WM. Chronic pain: an update on burden, best practices, and new advances. Lancet. 2021; 397:2082-2097.
- Denlinger K, Young DL, Beier M, Friedman M, Quinn J, Hoyer EH, Kudchadkar SR. Psychometric testing of the Activity Measure for Post-Acute Care (AM-PAC) in the pediatric acute care setting. Pediatr Phys Ther. 2021; in press.
- Fitzcharles MA, Cohen SP, Clauw DJ, Littlejohn G, Usui C, Häuser W. Nociplastic pain: towards an understanding of prevalent pain conditions. Lancet. 2021; 397:2098-2110.
- Gardner Yelton SE, Leonard JB, de la Uz CM, Wadia RS, Barnes SS. Flecainide toxicity secondary to accidental overdose: a pediatric case report of two brothers. Case Rep Crit Care. 2021; 6633859.
- Goel V, Moran B, Kaizer AM, Sivanesan E, Patwardhan AM, Ibrahim M, DeWeerth JC, Shannon Ct, Shankar H. Opioid prescriptions by pain medicine physicians in the Medicare Part D program: a cross-sectional study. Anesth Analg. 2021; 132:1748-1755.
- Gregory JL, Brown AT, Kudchadkar SR. Characterizing sleep disruption and delirium in children after cardiac surgery: a feasibility study. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2021; in press.
- Hsiao CJ, Paulson JN, Singh S, Mongodin EF, Carroll KC, Fraser CM, Rock P, Faraday N. Nasal microbiota and infectious complications after elective surgical procedures. JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4:e218386.
- Jung YH, Ren X, Suffredini G, Dodd OJ, Gao WD. Right ventricular diastolic dysfunction and failure: a review. Heart Fail Rev. 2021; in press.
- Knotkova H, Hamani C, Sivanesan E, Le Beuffe MFE, Moon JY, Cohen SP, Huntoon MA. Neuromodulation for chronic pain. Lancet. 2021; 397:2111-2124.
- Liamsombut S, Kaw R, Wang L, Bena J, Andrews N, Collop N, Stierer T, Gillinov M, Tarler M, Kayyali H, Katzan I, Foldvary-Schaefer N. Predictive value of sleep apnea screenings in cardiac surgery patients. Sleep Med. 2021; 84:20-25.
- Minhas AS, Shade JK, Cho SM, Michos ED, Metkus T, Gilotra NA, Sharma G, Trayanova N, Hays AG. The role of sex and inflammation in cardiovascular outcomes and mortality in COVID-19. Int J Cardiol. 2021; in press.
- Moman RN, Peterson AA, Maher DP, Eli I, Hagedorn JM, Bendel MA, Gerberi D, Murad MH, Hooten WM. Infectious complications of dorsal root ganglion stimulation: a systematic review and pooled analysis of incidence. Neuromodulation. 2021; in press.
- Nguyen DA, De Mul A, Hoskote AU, Cogo P, da Cruz EM, Erickson S, Lasa JJ, Thiagarajan RR, Bembea MM, Karam O, Palisi EAP. Factors associated with initiation of extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation in the pediatric population: an international survey. ASAIO J. 2021; in press.
- Oseini AM, Hamilton JP, Hammam MB, Kim A, Oshima K, Woreta T, Rizkalla N, Pustavoitau A, Merlo C, Nguyen MC, King EA, Wesson RN, Garonzik-Wang J, Ottman S, Philosophe B, Cameron AM, Armanios M, Gurakar A. Liver transplantation in short-telomere-mediated hepatopulmonary syndrome following bone marrow transplantion, using HCV positive allografts: a case series. Liver Transpl. 2021; in press.
- Sochet AA, Kiskaddon A, Betensky M, Goldenberg N. Venous thromboembolism among critically ill children: a narrative review. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2021; in press.
- Swetlik C, Migdady I, Hasan LZ, Buletko AB, Price C, Cho SM. Cannabis use and stroke: does a risk exist? J Addict Med. 2021; in press.
- DiGiusto M, Lupa MC, Corridore M, Sivak EL, Lockman JL. The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the 2020 pediatric anesthesiology fellowship application cycle: a survey of applicants. Paediatr Anaesth. 2021; in press.
- Claus LE, Links AR, Amos J, DiCarlo H, Jelin E, Koka R, Beach MC, Boss EF. Parent experience of communication about children’s surgery: a qualitative analysis. Pediatr Qual Saf. 2021; 6:e403.
- Gitterman A, Klaus J, Williams K, Murphy J. Peripartum optimization and coordination of collaborative care practice: a critical role for the obstetric anesthesiologist in combating maternal morbidity and mortality. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2021; 34:205-211.
- Gupta A, Cuff P, Dotson-Blake K, Schwartzberg J, Sheperis C, Talib Z Commentary – Reimagining patient-centered care during a pandemic in a digital world: A focus on building trust for healing. NAM Perspectives, National Academy of Medicine. 2021. https://doi.org/10.31478/202105c.
- Hensley NB, Grant MC, Cho BC, Suffredini G, Abernathy JA. How do we use dashboards to enhance quality in cardiac anesthesia? J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2021; in press.
- Strand NH, Mariano ER, Goree JH, Narouze S, Doshi TL, Freeman JA, Pearson ACS. Racism in pain medicine: we can and should do more. Mayo Clin Proc. 2021; 96:1394-1400.
Books and Book Chapters
Reschke MM, Berman DJ. Anesthesia for intrapartum fetal surgery. In: Anaesthesia for Upcoming Procedures. Springer, NY. 2021, in press.
Gitterman A, Reschke MM, Berman DJ. Anesthesia for EXIT procedure. In: Anaesthesia for Upcoming Procedures. Springer, NY. 2021, in press.