Charlie Brown, MD, was awarded an R01 grant from the NIH for his study titled “Cerebral Autoregulation in the Cardiac Surgery Intensive Care Unit: Associations with Postoperative Delirium, Cognitive Change, and Biomarkers of Brain Injury.”
Under the direction of Dr. Peju Adekoya, ACCM’s Pain Fellowship program received a Pain Therapies Direct Fellowship Grant for from Medtronic for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Accomplishments and Honors
Sean Barnes, MD, MBA, recently presented a webcast for the American Association for Respiratory Care titled “Respiratory Therapists as Partners in Prevention and Management of Pediatric ICU Delirium.”
Mary Beth Brady, MD, FASE, co-led the team that planned and executed the recent Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists (SCA) annual meeting. As vice chair of the SCA scientific program committee, she moderated the plenary session “Pulmonary hypertension: Old disease, new updates” as well as a session on “Perioperative disasters.” Additionally, Dr. Brady presented “How to deliver a mind-blowing presentation” and, separately, “TEE hemodynamic formulas – no need to memorize.”
Laura Chin, MD, MPH, and Kara Segna, MD, of Bayview Regional Anesthesia published “My Pain Block” and “My Pain Block Post Discharge”—patient-centered educational brochures given to Bayview Medical Center (BMC) outpatients receiving nerve blocks. This is the first patient education material of its kind for BMC and will make a dramatic impact on patients receiving nerve blocks.
Sung-Min Cho, DO, was an invited speaker at the 101st American Association of Thoracic Surgeons meeting (4/30-5/2), where he presented “Mitigating neurological injury in ECMO.” He also gave an invited talk at the 41st Korean Society of Critical Care Medicine Annual Congress / Acute and Critical Care Conference 2021 on “Acute brain injury in patients with ECMO” on May 1.
Tina Doshi, MD, was appointed Associate Editor on the editorial board of Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine.
Tina Doshi, MD, MHS, recently gave grand rounds at Rush University Department of Anesthesiology; was a speaker and session organizer for the International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP) Pain Research Forum/Neuropathic Pain Special Interest Group (NeuPSIG) Webinar; was a speaker at the Mumbai Pain School, Neuropathic Pain Webinar/Comprehensive Webinar Series; served as a panelist on “Seeking funding for pain clinical research trials” at the SMi Pain Therapeutics Conference; and gave a talk at that conference titled “Diversity matters: the importance of sex and gender in pain research.”
Michael Erdek, MD, MA, traveled to Pittsburgh last month to address the graduating seniors in the Physician Assistant Studies program at Duquesne University.
Michael Grant, MD, recently gave three lectures at the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists: “Opioid-free cardiac anesthesia: Is this for real?” “Remember the rest of ERACS – key components,” and “Multimodal pain control – moving beyond the opioids.” He also moderated and lectured at the Enhanced Recovery After Cardiac Surgery Workshop. Additionally, he gave a lecture titled “Novel multimodal opioid-sparing approaches to postoperative pain relief” at the American Association of Thoracic Surgeons.
Nadia Hensley, MD, was invited to be interviewed for the Anesthesia & Analgesia podcast about one of the “Articles of the Month” for the July 2021 issue. The article she wrote for the journal is titled “Pro-Con debate: fibrinogen concentrate or cryoprecipitate for treatment of acquired hypofibrinogenemia in cardiac surgery patients?”
Nadia Hensley, MD, was moderator of the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiology Annual Meeting 2021 Interventional Workshop on April 25th. Then she served as a panelist on patient blood management with a talk titled “Cardiopulmonary bypass—techniques and evidence around minimizing hemodilution” on April 26th. Finally, she moderated the Plenary Session titled, “Quality Databases the Why, How, What, Where, and When: Can I Submit My Institution’s Data to and Obtain Meaningful Information about Performance Quality Metrics.”
Paul Nyquist, MD, MPH, is the inaugural president of the Neurocritical Care Foundation (NCCF), a newly formed not-for-profit organization [501(3)(c) pending]. The NCCF is dedicated to supporting neurocritical care research and education efforts through philanthropy.
Paul Nyquist, MD, MPH, was the inaugural speaker at the Weaning and Extubation in Neurocritical Care Network meeting, which was held in Oxford, London, United Kingdom, on April 21, 2021. He spoke on “Special issues regarding mechanical ventilation in neurologically injured patients,” Nuffield Department of Clinical Neurosciences at the University of Oxford.
Lakshmi Santhanam, MD, was invited to chair the American Heart Association Career Development Award Vascular 2 committee. She is also serving as the editor for a Frontiers Special Research Topic. Jochen Steppan, MD, and Dan Nyhan, MD, are her co-editors.
Lakshmi Santhanam, MD, was elected to a Councilor position at the American Physiological Society. In this position, she will have leadership responsibilities for organizing Experimental Biology 2022 and will participate in judging grants and awards.
Mara Serbanescu, MD, received the Junior Faculty Perioperative Medicine Research Award from the Association of University Anesthesiologists for her abstract, “Anesthesia and the gut microbiome: exploring the effects of isoflurane, propofol, and supplemental oxygen in a murine model of general anesthesia.”
Eellan Sivanesan, MD, was invited to serve on the Neurobiology of Pain and Itch (NPI) study section in the Early Career Reviewer (ECR) Program at the Center for Scientific Review, National Institutes of Health.
Jochen Steppan, MD, was invited to serve as a member of the International Committee for the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists.
Robert Stevens, MD, became Director of the Division of Informatics, Integration, and Innovation.
Robert Stevens, MD, received the Presidential Citation for outstanding contributions to the Society of Critical Care Medicine.
Robert Stevens, MD, was faculty in the NIH/NINDS Curing Coma Symposium on May 3-5, and is chairing the Awards Ceremony at the Annual Meeting of the Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists to be held on May 14, 2021.
Robert Stevens, MD, was invited to speak at the Mayo Clinic Artificial Intelligence Symposium on the topic: “Leveraging Artificial Intelligence to Achieve Precision in Intensive Care” on May 17-18, 2021, and at the American Neurological Association on the topic “Endotyping Coma for Prognosis and Intervention” on November 11, 2021.
M-Irfan Suleman, MD, FAAP, FASA, was a virtual grand rounds speaker on “Multidisciplinary pediatric chronic pain management” at Inova Children’s Hospital on May 6, 2021. He also had two invited articles published in the ASA Monitor’s special edition on pediatric pain: A multidisciplinary approach to the treatment of pediatric chronic pain and Psychiatric considerations in pediatric chronic pain.
Jed Wolpaw, MD, M.Ed, is giving grand rounds on May 10 at Stanford with a talk titled “Reimagining residency: What should training look like for today’s adult learners?” Then he is giving grand rounds on May 19 at The Brigham. That talk is titled “Teaching and feedback for anesthesiology residents in the 21st century.”
The Curing Coma Symposium Part II took place virtually May 5-3, 2021. This symposium was funded by the NINDS/NIH and the Neurocritical Care Society (NCS). Several neurocritical care faculty members participated in this important event. Jose I Suarez chaired the Organizing Committee and the following investigators presented lectures or co-chaired sessions: Wendy Ziai, Courtney Robertson, Elizabeth Zink, Geoffrey Ling, Robert Stevens, and Romergyrko Geocadin. If you would like to learn more about the Curing Coma Campaign and join this effort, please click here https://www.curingcoma.org/home.
Correction from last month’s edition of ACCM Good News. Dr. Lakshmi Santhanam, not her student, had her project selected for spaceflight by NASA. The project is titled “Bone-derived factors as mediators of vascular responses to spaceflight.” Apologies for the inaccuracy and congratulations to Dr. Santhanam.
- Al-Kawaz MN, Canner J, Caturegli G, Kannapadi N, Balucani C, Shelley L, Kim BS, Choi CW, Geocadin RG, Whitman G, Cho SM. Duration of hyperoxia and neurologic outcomes in patients undergoing extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Crit Care Med. 2021; in press.
- Badjatia N, Abella BS, Polderman KH, Geocadin RG, Silbergleit R. Studies utilizing therapeutic hypothermia and targeted temperature management. Ther Hypothermia Temp Manag. 2021; in press.
- Berger J, Zaidi M, Halferty I, Kudchadkar S. Sleep in the hospitalized child: a contemporary review. Chest. 2021; in press.
- Berger JA, Huh DD, Lee T, Wadia RS, Bembea MM, Goswami DK. Perioperative management and considerations in pediatric patients with connective tissue disorders undergoing cardiac surgery. Paediatr Anaesth. 2021; in press.
- Chiarini G, Cho SM, Whitman G, Rasulo F, Lorusso R. Brain injury in extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: a multidisciplinary approach. Semin Neurol. 2021; in press.
- Cho SM, Tahsili-Fahadan P, Kilic A, Choi CW, Starling RC, Uchino K. A comprehensive review of risk factor, mechanism, and management of left ventricular assist device-associated stroke. Semin Neurol. 2021; in press.
- Gusdon AM, Farrokh S, Grotta JC. Antithrombotic therapy for stroke patients with cardiovascular disease. Semin Neurol. 2021; in press.
- Hao D, Sidharthan S, Cotte J, Decker M, Salisu-Orhurhu M, Olatoye D, Karri J, Hagedorn JM, Adekoya P, Odonkor C, Gulati A, Orhurhu V. Interventional therapies for pain in cancer patients: a narrative review. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2021; 25:44.
- Hosey MM, Needham DM, Kudchadkar SR. Fatigue in critical care survivors: multidisciplinary and self-management strategies. Anaesthesia. 2021; in press.
- Hu Y, Stilp AM, McHugh CP, Rao S, Jain D, Zheng X, Lane J, Méric de Bellefon S, Raffield LM, Chen MH, Yanek LR, Wheeler M, Yao Y, Ren C, Broome J, Moon JY, de Vries PS, Hobbs BD, Sun Q, Surendran P, Brody JA, Blackwell TW, Choquet H, Ryan K, Duggirala R, Heard-Costa N, Wang Z, Chami N, Preuss MH, Min N, Ekunwe L, Lange LA, Cushman M, Faraday N, et al. Whole-genome sequencing association analysis of quantitative red blood cell phenotypes: The NHLBI TOPMed program. Am J Hum Genet. 2021; 108:874-893.
- Joshi D, Jalali A, Whipple T, Rehman M, Ahumada LM. “P3”: an adaptive modeling tool for post-COVID-19 restart of surgical services. JAMIA Open. 2021; 4:ooab016.
- Lindgren AG, Braun RG, Juhl Majersik J, Clatworthy P, Mainali S, Derdeyn CP, Maguire J, Jern C, Rosand J, Cole JW, Lee JM, Khatri P, Nyquist P, Debette S, Keat Wei L, Rundek T, Leifer D, Thijs V, Lemmens R, Heitsch L, Prasad K, Jimenez Conde J, Dichgans M, Rost NS, Cramer SC, Bernhardt J, Worrall BB, Fernandez-Cadenas I. International stroke genetics consortium recommendations for studies of genetics of stroke outcome and recovery. Int J Stroke. 2021; in press:17474930211007288.
- Liu D, Jiang D, Tekes A, Kulikowicz E, Martin LJ, Lee JK, Liu P, Qin Q. Multi-parametric evaluation of cerebral hemodynamics in neonatal piglets using non-contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging methods. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2021; in press.
- Lo BD, Frank SM, Fassbinder M. A novel extubation technique to facilitate removal of subglottic secretions. J Clin Anesth. 2021; 72:110294.
- Lo BD, Merkel KR, Dougherty JL, Kajstura TJ, Cruz NC, Sikorski RA, Frank SM. Assessing predictors of futility in patients receiving massive transfusions. Transfusion. 2021; in press.
- Metkus TS, Thibault D, Grant MC, Badhwar V, Jacobs JP, Lawton J, O’Brien SM, Thourani V, Wegermann ZK, Zwischenberger B, Higgins R. Utilization and outcomes of transesophageal echocardiography in 1.3 million CABG procedures. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2021; in press.
- Migdady I, Amin M, Shoskes A, Hassett C, Rae-Grant A, Snider SB, Greer DM, Cho SM, George P. Outcomes, time-trends, and factors associated with ancillary study use for the determination of brain death. Crit Care Med. 2021; in press.
- Nyquist P, Goldenberg F, Bautista C, Miller B, Jichici D, Shutter L. Letter: Commentary: What we might or might not know about venous thromboembolism prophylaxis in neurosurgery. Neurosurgery. 2021; in press.
- Pal N, Abernathy JH, 3rd, Taylor MA, Bollen BA, Shah AS, Feng X, Shotwell MS, Kertai MD. Dexmedetomidine, delirium, and adverse outcomes: analysis of the STS adult cardiac surgery database. Ann Thorac Surg. 2021; in press.
- Peden CJ, Aggarwal G, Aitken RJ, Anderson ID, Bang Foss N, Cooper Z, Dhesi JK, French WB, Grant MC, Hammarqvist F, Hare SP, Havens JM, Holena DN, Hübner M, Kim JS, Lees NP, Ljungqvist O, Lobo DN, Mohseni S, Ordoñez CA, Quiney N, Urman RD, Wick E, Wu CL, Young-Fadok T, Scott M. Guidelines for perioperative care for emergency laparotomy Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Society Recommendations: Part 1-Preoperative: Diagnosis, rapid assessment and optimization. World J Surg. 2021; 45:1272-1290.
- Stone AB, Grant MC, Dasani SS, Nascimben L. The monthly operating cost of an institutional COVID-19 airway response team: A financial model and sensitivity analysis based on experience at an academic medical center. Perioper Care Oper Room Manag. 2021; 23:100168.
- Wang R, Chu C, Wei Z, Chen L, Xu J, Liang Y, Janowski M, Stevens RD, Walczak P. Traumatic brain injury does not disrupt costimulatory blockade-induced immunological tolerance to glial-restricted progenitor allografts. J Neuroinflammation. 2021; 18:104.
- Woods-Hill CZ, Koontz DW, Voskertchian A, Xie A, Shea J, Miller MR, Fackler JC, Milstone AM. Consensus recommendations for blood culture use in critically ill children using a modified Delphi approach. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2021; in press.
- Ziai WC, Cho SM, Johansen MC, Ergin B, Bahouth MN. Transcranial Doppler in acute COVID-19 infection: unexpected associations. Stroke. 2021; in press: Strokeaha120032150.