Robert Stevens, MD, was awarded a grant from the Johns Hopkins Institute for Clinical and Translational Research/Accelerated Translational Incubator Pilot Program for the proposal titled “Computational Subphenotype Discovery and Treatment Response Prediction in Traumatic Brain Injury.”
Accomplishments and Honors
Jake Abernathy, MD, MPH, was elected to the Board of Directors of the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists.
Renee Blanding, MD, was the recipient of this year’s William Baumgartner, MD, Physician of the Year Award for Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. Dr. Blanding, who is the Vice President for Medical Affairs at Bayview and a practicing anesthesiologist in ACCM, was recognized for her outstanding leadership, thoughtfulness, and poise during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Travis Brady, a BME PhD student working with Lakshmi Santhanam, PhD, received a highly competitive Ford Fellowship for predoctoral studies. His achievement was featured on the BME spotlight: https://www.bme.jhu.edu/news-events/news/travis-brady-earns-ford-foundation-fellowship/. Additionally, his project was selected for spaceflight by NASA. His mice will go to space in March of 2022.
Sung-Min Cho, DO, MHS, gave an invited talk to Boston University School of Medicine – Neurology Grand Rounds on “Neurocritical Care of Acute Brain Injury in Patients with ECMO Support” on April 1.
Robyn Cooke, CRNA, MS, was nominated by the staff at Bayview for the CRNA of the Year award.
Steve Frank, MD, spoke at the UNC-Chapel Hill Multidisciplinary Grand Rounds (Departments of Surgery, Anesthesiology, and Nursing) on “Evidence-Based Transfusion Practice and Blood Management Programs.” He also spoke on “Bloodless Medicine and Surgery: The Johns Hopkins Experience” at the Rutgers University, Robert Wood Johnson Medical Center, Grand Rounds (Hospitalist Service).
Lee Goeddel, MD, MPH, gave grand rounds at the University of Miami on April 1. The title of his talk was “Unlocking the Potential of Precision Medicine Through Improved Preoperative Assessment.”
Anita Gupta, DO, PharmD, MPP, was inducted into the National Academies of Practice (NAP). NAP is an interprofessional, nonprofit organization, with membership representing a range of health care professions willing to serve as distinguished advisors to health care policy makers in Congress and elsewhere. NAP consists of 14 academies of practice. Dr. Gupta was inducted into the Allopathic and Osteopathic Medicine Academy.
Marie Hanna, MD, joined the editorial board of Pain Medicine Journal in the Acute Pain Management section.
Joann Hunsberger, MD, has been volunteering on the Health and Safety Committee for Patterson Park Public Charter School to help students return safely to school during the COVID-19 pandemic. Her story is featured by Johns Hopkins Medicine News & Publications and can be accessed with this link.
Jamie Murphy, MD, was appointed to the Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology Board of Directors and Chair of the Intersociety Committee.
Srinivasa Raja, MD, was an invited faculty speaker at the Scheme for Promotion of Academic and Research Collaboration (SPARC) sponsored online course entitled “Pre-clinical Models in Drug Discovery & Development” organized by the Department of Pharmaceutical Engineering & Technology, Indian Institute of Technology (B.H.U.) on April 2, 2021.
Hassan Rayaz, MD, gave a talk titled “Perioperative Management of Opioid Tolerant Patients” to Stanford University as part of the speaker exchange program (ASPIRE).
Lakshmi Santhanam, PhD, was elected Councilor to the American Physiological Society’s Exercise and Environmental Physiology Section Steering Committee.
Eellan Sivanesan was appointed to the editorial boards of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine and Frontiers in Pain Research. He was also appointed Vice Chair of the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine (ASRA) Neuromodulation SIG and Member-at-Large of the 2022 Pain Medicine Meeting Scientific/Education Planning Committee.
Eellan Sivanesan, MD, will be speaking at the Mumbai Pain School Webinar on Neuropathic Pain next week in a session on “Intrathecal Drug Delivery for Neuropathic Cancer Pain.”
Robert Stevens, MD, was Chair and Moderator for the Artificial Intelligence in Medicine Conference on March 31. He was also the Keynote Speaker at the Critical Care Symposium, Houston Methodist on April 9-10. The title of his talk was “Leveraging Artificial Intelligence to Achieve Precision in Intensive Care.”
M-Irfan Suleman, MD, FAAP, FASA, was designated as a Fellow of the American Society of Anesthesiologists. He was also invited to speak at the Multidisciplinary Pediatric Chronic Pain Management meeting in the Department of Psychiatry on April 23, and at the Multidisciplinary Pediatric Chronic Pain Management Virtual Grand Rounds at the University of Virginia on April 27.
- Azad TD, Al-Kawaz MN, Turnbull AE, Rivera-Lara L. Coronavirus disease 2019 policy restricting family presence may have delayed end-of-life decisions for critically ill patients. Crit Care Med. 2021; in press.
- Balucani C, Carhuapoma JR, Canner JK, Faigle R, Johnson B, Aycock A, Phipps MS, Schrier C, Yarbrough K, Toral L, Groman S, Lawrence E, Aldrich E, Goldszmidt A, Marsh E, Urrutia VC. Exploring the collateral damage of the COVID-19 pandemic on stroke care: a statewide analysis. Stroke. 2021; in press.
- Baronos S, Prada G, Goeddel LA, Díaz-Gómez JL, Pustavoitau A. Utility of point of care ultrasonography for COVID-19. J Crit Care. 2020; 60:351-352.
- Benzon HT, Maus TP, Kang HR, Provenzano DA, Bhatia A, Diehn F, Nelson A, McCormick ZL, Liu BP, de Andres Ares J, Anitescu M, Blackham K, Bhaskar A, Brill S, Collins J, Gulve A, Hurley RW, Jeon YH, Moon JY, Rauck RL, Rodes M, Lee RK, Shah V, Shanthanna H, van Zundert J, Huntoon M, Rathmell JP, Borges MS, Cohen SP, Greenberger PA. The use of contrast agents in interventional pain procedures: a multispecialty and multisociety practice advisory on nephrogenic systemic fibrosis, gadolinium deposition in the brain, encephalopathy after unintentional intrathecal gadolinium injection, and hypersensitivity reactions. Anesth Analg. 2021; in press.
- Chan XY, Volkova E, Eoh J, Black R, Fang L, Gorashi R, Song J, Wang J, Elliott MB, Barreto-Ortiz SF, Chen J, Lin BL, Santhanam L, Cheng L, Lee FS, Prchal JT, Gerecht S. HIF2A gain-of-function mutation modulates the stiffness of smooth muscle cells and compromises vascular mechanics. iScience. 2021; 24:102246.
- Chen Y, Vu TH, Chinchilli VM, Farrag M, Roybal AR, Huh A, Cohen ZO, Becker AB, Arvanaghi B, Agrawal M, Ogden J, Cohen SP. Clinical and technical factors associated with knee radiofrequency ablation outcomes: a multicenter analysis. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2021; 46:298-304.
- DiGiusto M, Wolf RM, Arcara KM, Vanderhoek SM. Use of continuous glucose monitoring to facilitate perioperative glycemic management: a case report. A A Pract. 2021; 15:e01438.
- Ghafoor S, Fan K, Williams S, Brown A, Bowman S, Pettit KL, Gorantla S, Quillivan R, Schwartzberg S, Curry A, Parkhurst L, James M, Smith J, Canavera K, Elliott A, Frett M, Trone D, Butrum-Sullivan J, Barger C, Lorino M, Mazur J, Dodson M, Melancon M, Hall LA, Rains J, Avent Y, Burlison J, Wang F, Pan H, Lenk MA, Morrison RR, Kudchadkar SR. Beginning restorative activities very early: implementation of an early mobility initiative in a pediatric onco-critical care unit. Front Oncol. 2021; 11:645716.
- Goel V, Patwardhan AM, Ibrahim M, Yang Y, Sivanesan E, Banik RK, Shannon C, Shankar H. Industry payments to pain medicine physicians: an analysis of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services open payments program. Pain Med. 2021; in press.
- Güemes A, Ray S, Aboumerhi K, Desjardins MR, Kvit A, Corrigan AE, Fries B, Shields T, Stevens RD, Curriero FC, Etienne-Cummings R. A syndromic surveillance tool to detect anomalous clusters of COVID-19 symptoms in the United States. Sci Rep. 2021; 11:4660.
- Hardy JF, Farmer SL, Auerbach M, Frank SM, Javidroozi M, Leahy MF, Meier J, Ozawa S, Shander A. Preoperative intravenous iron in anemic patients undergoing major abdominal surgery may not PREVENTT blood transfusions but still contribute to the objectives of patient blood management. Anesth Analg. 2021; 132:1174-1177.
- Jaber B, Bembea MM, Loftis LL, Spinella PC, Zhang L, Simpson PM, Hanson SJ. Venovenous versus venoarterial extracorporeal membranous oxygenation in inotrope dependent pediatric patients with respiratory failure. ASAIO J. 2021; 67:457-462.
- Jiang D, Koehler RC, Liu X, Kulikowicz E, Lee JK, Lu H, Liu P. Quantitative validation of MRI mapping of cerebral venous oxygenation with direct blood sampling: a graded-O2 study in piglets. Magn Reson Med. 2021; in press.
- Knox N, Lee CS, Moon JY, Cohen SP. Pain manifestations of COVID-19 and their association with mortality: a multicenter prospective observational study. Mayo Clin Proc. 2021; 96:943-951.
- Kuppalli S, Seth R, Orhurhu V, Urits I, Kaye AD, Hunter C, Gulati A, Adekoya P, Kaye AM, Jones MR. Recent advances in the treatment of opioid use disorder. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2021; 25:23.
- Liu K, Nakamura K, Katsukawa H, Elhadi M, Nydahl P, Ely EW, Kudchadkar SR, Takahashi K, Inoue S, Lefor AK, Kesecioglu J, Nishida O. ABCDEF bundle and supportive ICU practices for patients with coronavirus disease 2019 infection: an international point prevalence study. Crit Care Explor. 2021; 3:e0353.
- Long JB, Engorn BM, Hill KD, Feng L, Chiswell K, Jacobs ML, Jacobs JP, Goswami D. Postoperative hematocrit and adverse outcomes in pediatric cardiac surgery patients: a cross-sectional study from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons and Congenital Cardiac Anesthesia Society database collaboration. Anesth Analg. 2021; in press.
- Lucrezia S, Noether J, Sochet AA. Standardized work rounds enhance teaming, comprehensiveness, shared mental model development, and achievement rate of end-of-shift goals. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2021; 22:354-364.
- Mann M, Wright CH, Jella T, Labak CM, Shammassian B, Srivatsa S, Wright J, Engineer L, Sajatovic M, Selman W. Cranial surgical site infection interventions and prevention bundles: a systematic review of the literature. World Neurosurg. 2021; 148:206-219.e4.
- Martin KA, Cole TDK, Percha CM, Asanuma N, Mattare K, Hager DN, Brenner MJ, Pandian V. Standard versus accelerated speaking valve placement after percutaneous tracheostomy: a randomized-controlled feasibility study. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2021; in press.
- Mpaili E, Tsilimigras DI, Moris D, Sigala F, Frank SM, Hartmann J, Pawlik TM. Utility of viscoelastic coagulation testing in liver surgery: a systematic review. HPB (Oxford). 2021; 23:331-343.
- Nakano M, Nomura Y, Whitman G, Sussman M, Schena S, Kilic A, Choi CW, Akiyoshi K, Neufeld KJ, Lawton J, Colantuoni E, Yamaguchi A, Wen M, Smielewski P, Brady K, Bush B, Hogue CW, Brown CH, 4th. Cerebral autoregulation in the operating room and intensive care unit after cardiac surgery. Br J Anaesth. 2021; in press. Supported by the CRC.
- Nelson SE, Piran P, Hua J, Sigmon A, Weiner C, Sair HI, Suarez JI, Stevens RD. Prognostic value of a structural brain MRI score in the acute phase of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage: a pilot study. Neurocrit Care. 2021; in press.
- Ozment CP, Scott BL, Bembea MM, Spinella PC. Anticoagulation and transfusion management during neonatal and pediatric extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: a survey of medical directors in the United States. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2021; in press.
- Padiyath A, Lo BD, Ong CS, Goswami D, Steppan DA, Frank SM, Steppan J. Red blood cell storage duration and peri-operative outcomes in paediatric cardiac surgery. Vox Sang. 2021; in press.
- Pai S, Njoku DB. The role of hypoxia-induced mitogenic factor in organ-specific inflammation in the lung and liver: key concepts and gaps in knowledge regarding molecular mechanisms of acute or immune-mediated liver injury. Int J Mol Sci. 2021; 22:2717.
- Peeler A, Gleason KT, Cho SM, Davidson PM. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in acute respiratory distress syndrome: How do we expand capacity in the COVID-19 era? Heart Lung Circ. 2021; in press.
- Rahman S, Speed T, Xie A, Shechter R, Hanna MN. Perioperative pain management during the COVID-19 pandemic: a telemedicine approach. Pain Med. 2021; 22:3-6.
- Rivera-Lara L. Are we ready to individualize hypotension thresholds in patients undergoing cardiac bypass using noninvasive neuromonitoring? Crit Care Med. 2021; 49:710-712.
- Rosen MA, Romig M, Demko Z, Barasch N, Dwyer C, Pronovost PJ, Sapirstein A. Smart agent system for insulin infusion protocol management: a simulation-based human factors evaluation study. BMJ Qual Saf. 2021; in press.
- Shoskes A, Whitman G, Cho SM. Neurocritical care of mechanical circulatory support devices. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2021; 21:20.
- Sick-Samuels AC, Linz M, Bergmann J, Fackler JC, Berenholtz SM, Ralston SL, Hoops K, Dwyer J, Colantuoni E, Milstone AM. Diagnostic stewardship of endotracheal aspirate cultures in a PICU. Pediatrics. 2021; in press.
- Sun Q, Zhen G, Li TP, Guo Q, Li Y, Su W, Xue P, Wang X, Wan M, Guan Y, Dong X, Li S, Cai M, Cao X. Parathyroid hormone attenuates osteoarthritis pain by remodeling subchondral bone in mice. Elife. 2021; 10:e66532.
- Tomobi O, Toy S, Ondari M, Lee S, Nelson-Williams H, Koroma M, Sampson JB. Evaluating rapid-cycle deliberate practice versus mastery learning in training nurse anesthetists on the Universal Anaesthesia Machine Ventilator in Sierra Leone. J Educ Perioper Med. 2021; 23:E658.
- van Steenkiste J, Larson S, Ista E, van der Jagt M, Stevens RD. Impact of structured care systems on mortality in intensive care units. Intensive Care Med. 2021; in press.
- Vanderhoek SM, Moini A, Prichett L, Wolf RM. Practice patterns of perioperative insulin pump management in pediatric diabetes. Paediatr Anaesth. 2021; in press.
- Verhoef PA, Kannan S, Sturgill JL, Tucker EW, Morris PE, Miller AC, Sexton TR, Koyner JL, Hejal R, Brakenridge SC, Moldawer LL, Hotchkiss RS, Blood TM, Mazer MB, Bolesta S, Alexander SA, Armaignac DL, Shein SL, Jones C, Hoemann CD, Doctor A, Friess SH, Parker RI, Rotta AT, Remy KE. Severe acute respiratory syndrome-associated coronavirus 2 infection and organ dysfunction in the ICU: opportunities for translational research. Crit Care Explor. 2021; 3:e0374.
- Visoiu M, Scholz S, Malek MM, Carullo PC. The addition of clonidine to ropivacaine in rectus sheath nerve blocks for pediatric patients undergoing laparoscopic appendectomy: A double blinded randomized prospective study. J Clin Anesth. 2021; 71:110254.
- Wadia RS, Bernier ML, Diaz-Rodriguez NM, Goswami DK, Nyhan SM, Steppan J. Update on perioperative pediatric pulmonary hypertension management. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2021; in press.
- Wen J, Xu J, Mathena RP, Choi JH, Mintz CD. Early isoflurane exposure impairs synaptic development in Fmr1 KO mice via the mTOR pathway. Neurochem Res. 2021; in press.
- Xu J, Sun Z, Wu J, Rana M, Garza J, Zhu AC, Chakravarthy KV, Abd-Elsayed A, Rosenquist E, Basi H, Christo P, Cheng J. Peripheral nerve stimulation in pain management: a systematic review. Pain Physician. 2021; 24:E131-e152.
- Zink EK, Kumble S, Beier M, George P, Stevens RD, Bahouth MN. Physiological responses to in-bed cycle ergometry treatment in intensive care unit patients with external ventricular drainage. Neurocrit Care. 2021; in press.