- To develop clinician-scientists who will be leaders in the field of anesthesia research.
- The programs should provide multidisciplinary research training to help develop individuals with the skills and expertise to explore research problems relevant to anesthesiology, including the fundamental mechanisms of anesthetic action.
- To provide rigorous postdoctoral research training with an emphasis on hypothesis-driven laboratory or clinical research.
- Trainees, most of whom would hold the MD degree, will be expected to spend at least 2 years in the training program and devote a minimum of 80 percent effort toward their research. Most trainees will be recruited from anesthesiology residency programs, but individuals from other clinical specialties may be considered if their research interest is focused on problems in anesthesiology.
- For trainees with the PhD degree, the research and training should be specifically designed to promote a research career addressing problems in anesthesiology and should provide opportunities to enhance their research training with a clinical perspective.
- Trainees should have the opportunity to acquire fundamental knowledge and research techniques in such disciplines as biochemistry, biophysics, cell biology, molecular biology, neurobiology, pharmacology, or physiology.
- The training experience should be enhanced by providing programmatic activities, such as a seminar series and journal club, and may include specific courses if well justified, such as those on research techniques/approaches or biomedical statist cs.
- The training faculty should be multidisciplinary and may include both clinician-scientists and basic scientists as potential mentors.
Research opportunities are not limited to the given mentors, and can take place with any qualified Johns Hopkins faculty member. For each trainee, an individualized Research Training Program will be formulated with input from the appropriate Mentors and Program Directors. Program mentors are listed in the following table.
|Rebecca A. Aslakson, MD, PhD||Associate Professor, Anesthesiology||Palliative Care to Patients and Families in an Intensive Care Setting; Patient-Centered Outcomes Research (PCOR)|
|Sean Berenholtz, MD, MHS, FCCM||Professor, Anesthesiology||Critical Care Medicine; Optimizing ICU Patient Management; Ventilator Protocols; Patient Safety|
|Dan E. Berkowitz, MBBCh
|Professor, Anesthesiology; Biomedical Engineering||Vascular Biology; Vascular Disease, Including Vascular Aging|
|Robert H. Brown, MD, MPH||Professor, Anesthesiology; Radiology; Environmental Health Sciences (Bloomberg School of Public Health)||Pulmonary Physiology; Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease; Perioperative Outcomes Related to Pulmonary Function|
|Michael J. Caterina, MD, PhD||Professor, Biochemistry; Neuroscience||Molecular Mechanism of Peripheral Nociception and TRP Channel Function|
|Steven P. Cohen, MD||Professor, Anesthesiology||Clinical Trials and Epidemiology of Chronic Pain|
|Professor, Anesthesiology; Surgery||Molecular and Cellular Biology of Platelet Function; Pharmacogenomics of antiplatelet therapy; Molecular Determinants of Perioperative Outcome|
|Nicholas Flavahan, PhD||Professor, Anesthesiology||Vascular Biology: Vascular Development and Vascular Disease|
|Steven M. Frank, MD||Associate Professor, Anesthesiology; Director, Interdisciplinary Blood Management Program||Blood Conservation; Transfusion Practices|
|Wei Dong Gao, MD, PhD||Associate Professor, Anesthesiology||Cardiovascular Physiology; Contractile Dysfunction; Heart Failure|
|Allan Gottschalk, MD, PhD
|Associate Professor, Anesthesiology||Anesthetic Mechanisms; Acute Pain; Sensory Neurobiology; Computational/Theoretical Neuroscience|
|Yun Guan, MD, PhD||Associate Professor, Anesthesiology||Chronic Pain; Hyperalgesia After Nerve Injury|
|Nikki Heller, PhD||Assistant Professor, Anesthesiology||Molecular and cellular immune function in lung diseases; Asthma; ARDS; Cytokine Signaling|
|Elizabeth Hunt, MD, PhD||Assistant Professor, Anesthesiology; Pediatrics||Resuscitation; Clinical Simulation; Patient Safety; Medical Education|
|Roger A. Johns, MD, PhD||Professor, Anesthesiology||Vascular Biology, Including Pulmonary Hypertension; Molecular Biology of Anesthesia and Analgesia; Health Policy|
|Sujatha Kannan, MD||Associate Professor, Anesthesiology||Nanotechnology; Cerebral Injury and Protection, Neurological Diseases|
|Colleen Koch, MD, MS, MBA, FACC
|Professor and Chair; Anesthesiology||Clinical Trials of Transfusion Practice and Blood Conservation|
|Raymond C. Koehler, PhD||Professor, Anesthesiology
Anesthesiology; Environmental Health Sciences (Bloomberg School of Public Health)
|Vascular Biology of the Brain; Cerebral Injury After Stroke and Cardiac Arrest|
|Jennifer K. Lee-Summers, MD||Associate Professor, Anesthesiology||Vascular Biology of the Brain; Hypoxic Neural Injury, Cerebral Protection, Cerebral Autoregulation|
|Cyrus D. Mintz, MD, PhD||Assistant Professor, Anesthesiology||Anesthetic Toxicity; Hypoxic Neural Injury|
|Paul A. Nyquist, MD, MPH||Associate Professor, Neurology; Anesthesiology; Neurosurgery||Neurologic Outcomes in Critical Care|
|Dolores B. Njoku, MD||Associate Professor, Anesthesiology, Pediatrics, Pathology||Experimental Drug-Induced Hepatitis; Role of CYP2E1 Epitopes in Hepatic Inflammatory Diseases; Short-term Outcomes in Spinal Fusion and Reconstruction in High-risk Populations|
|Peter J. Pronovost, MD, PhD||Professor, Anesthesiology; Surgery; Health Policy and Management (Bloomberg School of Public Health)||Safety and Long-Term Outcomes in Intensive Care Settings|
|Srinivasa N. Raja, MD||Professor, Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine-Pain Medicine||Neurobiology of Pain; Neuropathic Pain|
|Lewis Romer, MD||Professor, Anesthesiology||Endothelial Cell Adhesion; Cytoskeletal Biology; Pulmonary Hypertension|
|Donald H. Shaffner, MD||Associate Professor, Anesthesiology; Pediatrics||Neurologic Injury Associated with Cardiac Arrest|
|Frederick Sieber, MD||Professor, Anesthesiology||Geriatric Anesthesiology; Cognitive Function Alterations and Anesthesia|
|Robert D. Stevens, MD||Associate Professor, Anesthesiology; Neurology; Neurosurgery; Radiology||Neural Injury in Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury, Sepsis; Functional Brain Imaging|
|Jian Wang, MD, PhD||Associate Professor, Anesthesiology||Pathophysiology of Stroke and Traumatic Brain Injury|
|Albert W. Wu, MD, MPH||Professor, Health Policy and Management; Epidemiology; International Health (Bloomberg School of Public Health); Medicine; Surgery||Long-Term Outcomes of Health Care Delivery|
Postdoctoral Research Training Program
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions
600 N. Wolfe Street, Meyer 8-134
Baltimore, MD 21287-7834