Accomplishments and Honors
Rebecca Aslakson, MD, PHD, was awarded a 2017 Johns Hopkins Distinguished Alumna Award.
Slava Barodka, MD, gave a talk at the American Society of Extracorporeal Technology (AmSECT) Meeting in Boston on goal-directed perfusion to prevent CSA-AKI.
Andy Benson, MSN, has been appointed Chief of the CRNA Division.
Mary Beth Brady, MD FASE, presented at the American Association for Thoracic Surgery annual meeting in Boston, MA: “TEE: The Eye Repair for the Surgeon”
Kristen Brown, MS, CRNP, PNP-AC had an abstract accepted for the International Pediatric Simulation Society Symposia and Workshop, which will be held in Boston, June 1–3. Brown KM, Mudd SS, Hunt EA, Duval-Arnould J, Perretta J, Nelson-McMillan K. A High-fidelity Simulation Boot Camp for Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care Nurse Practitioners.
Jordan Duval-Arnould, PhD, successfully defended his DrPH thesis in the Department of Health Policy and Management at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. His dissertation was titled Pediatric Cardiac Arrest at a Large Academic Children’s Hospital: Resuscitation Performance, Quality Improvement, and Associations with Return of Spontaneous Circulation.
Branden Engorn, MD, presented the following poster at the AUA meeting: Transfusion Thresholds and Adverse Outcomes in Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Patients with and without Cyanotic Disease. Other co-authors were William W Yang, Mereze Visagie, Joshua A Wetzler, Luca A Vricella, Steven M Frank, and Dheeraj Goswami.
Michael Erdek, MD, joined several other members of the Berman Institute on April 26th as faculty for the Henrietta Lacks High School Day. At the event, which was held at Hopkins, they engaged with Baltimore city high school students to teach and discuss ethical, social, and economic issues in health care and research.
Romer Geocadin, MD, was a plenary speaker at the 2017 South African Society of Anesthesiologists Congress in Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa.
Yun Guan, PhD, spoke at the Acupuncture Research Forum, held at the China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences in Beijing.
Yun Guan, PhD, will participate as a reviewer for the NIH BRAIN Initiative: Targeted BRAIN Circuits Projects on the Neurobiology of Motivated Behavior Study Section and the Mechanisms of Sensory, Perceptual and Cognitive Processes Study Section. He will also be a reviewer for the NIH-DoD-VA Pain Management Collaboratory–Pragmatic Clinical Trials Demonstration Projects.
Nadia Hensley, MD, and MaryBeth Brady, MD, FASE, presented a PBLD session at the International Anesthesia Research Society Meeting in Washington DC: “Perioperative Management of Patients with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM) for Noncardiac Procedures. LVOTO, ICD, IHSS: Deciphering the HCM Alphabet.”
Nadia Hensley, MD, presented an abstract at the International Anesthesia Research Society Meeting in Washington DC: Hensley N, Yang WW, Gupta P, Frank SM, Brown CH. “Blood Product Utilization in Revision vs. First-Time Cardiac Surgery: An Update in the Era of Patient Blood Management.”
Roger Johns, MD, PhD, was inducted into the National Academy of Inventors.
John Jubar, MD, presented a medically challenging case at the IARS meeting. His mentor was Tina Tran.
Youn-Hoa Jung, MD, has been appointed as a Resident Representative to the Wood Library Museum Board of Trustees.
Youn-Hoa Jung, MD, presented “The association between hospitalization, surgery, and incident dementia in older adults with mild cognitive impairment” at the IARS meeting.
Keri Koszela, MD, was awarded the Society for Education in Anesthesia-Health Volunteers Overseas Traveling Fellowship to teach in Malawi for 4 weeks.
Hira Richter, MD, presented “Treatment of PDPH in patients with AML” at the ASRA meeting.
Jamie Schwartz, MD, gave an invited lecture titled “Pediatric Anesthesia for the General Pediatrician: Issues and Controversies” for Pediatric Grand Rounds at St. Agnes Hospital.
The article Anesthesiologists and Disaster Medicine: A Needs Assessment for Education and Training and Reported Willingness to Respond, by Hayanga HK, Barnett DJ, Shallow NR, Roberts M, Thompson CB, Bentov I, Demiralp G, Winters D, Schwengel DA (Anesth Analg. 2017 May;124:1662-1669) was selected by Anesthesia & Analgesia as well as OpenAnesthesia as Article of the Month. The podcast interview was released this past week and can be heard at: http://www.openanesthesia.org/article-of-the-month/
Giulia Sikorski, MD, presented “Integrating palliative and surgical care – perioperative provider insights in overcoming barriers” at the ASRA meeting.
Robert Stevens, MD, was nominated to the Discovery Steering Committee of the Society of Critical Care Medicine.
Robert Stevens, MD, was invited to give Neurology Grand Rounds at Ohio State University and Anesthesiology Critical Care Grand Rounds at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.
Rob Thomsen, MD, was elected as a Director of the American Society of Anesthesiologists.
Thai Nguyen, MD, was recognized for his comforting bedside manner in a patient success story published on the website of Neurology and Neurosurgery. http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurology_neurosurgery/news/patient_stories/chordoma-susan-story.html
Members of the Division of Cardiac Anesthesia were strong contributors to the Society of Cardiac Anesthesia Annual Meeting and Workshops and the SCA Annual Thoracic Anesthesia Symposium held April 21–26 in Orlando FL. Mary Beth Brady and Slava Barodka co-moderated a session called “Best Practices for Cardiopulmonary Bypass Management; Laeben Lester and Mary Beth Brady gave workshops and talks; Charlie Brown, Mary Beth Brady, Jochen Steppan, and Weidong Gao were members of planning committees; and the following individuals presented posters:
- Maria Bauer and Nadia Hensley – “Acquired left ventricular inflow restriction after orthotopic heart transplantation.”
- Anubhav Kapoor and Mary Beth Brady – “Intraoperative transesophageal echocardiography for Watchman device implantation: guiding device deployment and managing complications.”
- John Fan, Susan Sankova, and Nadia Hensley – “Pneumonectomy and Pulmonary Endarterectomy for Pulmonary Artery Sarcoma.”
- Eric Lin and Laeben Lester – “Dynamic Right Ventricular Outflow Tract Obstruction as a Complication after Intramyocardial Left Anterior Descending Coronary Artery Bypass.”
- Brian Cho, Brian Bush, Keri Koszela, and Mary Beth Brady – “Utilizing Echocardiography to Guide Anesthetic and Surgical Management for a Challenging Pericardial Biopsy.”
- Shahab Khademi, Jochen Steppan, and Aoife Marasco – “Anesthetic Management of an Adult with Ebstein’s Anomaly Status Post Fenestrated Lateral Tunnel Fontan Undergoing Posterior Spinal Fusion for Scoliosis.”
- Robert Sickeler, Maura Grega, Rebecca Gottesman, Charles Brown – “Postoperative Delirium and 6-Year Cognitive Decline.
- Cerullo M, Lipsett PA. Assessing the magnitude of a surgical career through his trainees: the John L. Cameron legacy factor. Ann Surg 2017; 265:866-8.
- Dun-Chi LJ, Sivanesan E, Horlocker TT, Missair A. Two for one: a case report of intravenous lipid emulsion to treat local anesthetic systemic toxicity in term pregnancy. A A Case Rep 2017; 8:235-7.
- Fraser CD, III, Goeddel L, Patel ND, Azoury SC, Grimm JC, Sheinberg RB, Sciortino CM. Intra-aortic missile after gunshot wound to chest: an interesting case of traumatic cardiac injury. Ann Thorac Surg 2017; 103:e441-e442.
- Geocadin RG, Wijdicks E, Armstrong MJ, Damian M, Mayer SA, Ornato JP, Rabinstein A, Suarez JI, Torbey MT, Dubinsky RM, Lazarou J. Practice guideline: reducing brain injury after cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Report of the Guideline Development, Dissemination, and Implementation Subcommittee of the American Accademy of Neurology. Neurology 2017; in press.
- Goel R, Frank SM. Response to Assuring hospital supply of fresh red blood cells for critically ill patients. Transfusion 2017; 57:1321-2.
- Lee JK, Perin J, Parkinson C, O’Connor M, Gilmore MM, Reyes M, Armstrong J, Jennings JM, Northington FJ, Chavez-Valdez R. Relationships between cerebral autoregulation and markers of kidney and liver injury in neonatal encephalopathy and therapeutic hypothermia. J Perinatol 2017; in press.
- Li Q, Han X, Lan X, Gao Y, Wan J, Durham F, Cheng T, Yang J, Wang Z, Jiang C, Ying M, Koehler RC, Stockwell BR, Wang J. Inhibition of neuronal ferroptosis protects hemorrhagic brain. JCI Insight 2017; 2:e90777.
- Myers CG, Pronovost PJ. Making management skills a core component of medical education. Acad Med 2017; 92:582-4.
- Purvis TE, Goodwin CR, Garza-Ramos R, Ahmed AK, Lafage V, Neuman BJ, Passias PG, Kebaish KM, Frank SM, Sciubba DM. Effect of liberal blood transfusion on clinical outcomes and cost in spine surgery patients. Spine J 2017; in press.
- Pustavoitau A, Lesley M, Ariyo P, Latif A, Villamayor AJ, Frank SM, Rizkalla N, Merritt W, Cameron A, Dagher N, Philosophe B, Gurakar A, Gottschalk A. Predictive modeling of massive transfusion requirements during liver transplantation and its potential to reduce utilization of blood bank resources. Anesth Analg 2017; 124:1644-52.
- Rawat N, Yang T, Ali K, Catanzaro M, Cohen M, Farley DO, Lubomski LH, Thompson DA, Winters BD, Cosgrove SE, Klompas M, Speck KA, Berenholtz SM. Two-state collaborative study of a multifaceted intervention to decrease ventilator-associated events. Crit Care Med 2017; in press.
- Rivera-Lara L, Zorrilla-Vaca A, Geocadin RG, Healy RJ, Ziai W, Mirski MA. Cerebral autoregulation-oriented therapy at the bedside: a comprehensive review. Anesthesiology 2017; in press.
- Schwartz JM, McCloskey JJ, Shaffner DH. Video laryngoscopy: what we can see and what we cannot. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2017; 18:491-2.
- Wang W, Zhang H, Lee DH, Yu J, Cheng T, Hong M, Jiang S, Fan H, Huang X, Zhou J, Wang J. Using functional and molecular MRI rechniques to setect neuroinflammation and neuroprotection after traumatic brain injury. Brain Behav Immun 2017; in press.
- Wu Q, Qi L, Li H, Mao L, Yang M, Xie R, Yang X, Wang J, Zhang Z, Kong J, Sun B. Roflumilast reduces cerebral inflammation in a rat model of experimental subarachnoid hemorrhage. Inflammation 2017; in press.
Slava Barodka, MD, received a 2017 SCA/IARS mid-career grant award titled “Prevention of Cardiac Surgery Associated Acute Kidney Injury by a Goal-Directed Perfusion Protocol: Pilot Single Center Randomized Controlled Trial.”
Mark Bicket, MD, was awarded a Medtronic 2017-2018 Fellowship Grant to support the multidisciplinary pain fellowship program.
Laeben Lester, MD, was awarded a 2018 Women’s Board Grant for the purchase of two ORSIM Flexible Bronchoscopic Simulators.
Robert Stevens, MD, is co-investigator on a grant awarded by the Maryland Stem Cell Research Fund for a project titled “Inducing Immunotolerance of Myelinating Progenitor Cells Transplanted into the Brain of Immunocompetent Mice.”
Books and Book Chapters
McBride ME, Su L, Moga M, Jain P, Erkonen G, Brown KM, Bavane A, Bastero P, Allan CK. Simulation curriculum. In: Curriculum for Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care Medicine: Physician & Simulation. The Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society, 2016.