Accomplishments and Honors
Sean Barnes, MD, MBA, recently presented an abstract at the SPA/AAP Pediatric Anesthesiology 2017 meeting in Austin, TX, titled “Social Media for Dissemination of Pediatric Anesthesia Content – a Hashtag Analysis.” Other authors included Sapna Kudchadkar and Robert Greenberg.
Mark Bicket, MD, received the American Pain Society Young Investigator Award to present data on the following abstract at the annual scientific meeting in May 2017: Bicket M, White E, Wu C, Pronovost P, Yaster M, Alexander C. “Prescription opioid oversupply following orthopedic surgery: A prospective cohort study.” American Pain Society annual scientific meeting, Palm Springs, CA. The abstract also was selected for a podium presentation as one of the top clinical abstracts for the conference.
Todd Dorman, MD, FCCM, will be honored with the 2017 Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists (SOCCA) Lifetime Achievement Award, which will be presented at the annual meeting this May.
Lilly Engineer, MD, DrPH, MHA, was invited to serve as one of five expert judges on the jury panel for India’s first “Healthcare Achievers Awards 2017” This was an effort to rank and recognize providers and hospitals based on their patient-related outcomes data and measures. This first ranking included the Telugu states, but India is committed to rolling it out to the rest of the country over the next decade or so. The awards were presented in Hollywood style.
Steve Frank, MD, gave Grand Rounds to the Department of Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital in February: “Evidence-based Transfusion Practice and Patient Blood Management Programs.”
Yun Guan, MD, PhD, was a reviewer for the Clinical Trial Grant Co-Development Scheme (CTGCoD) of the National Medical Research Council (NMRC), Singapore. He was also an ad-hoc reviewer for the NIH, NCCIH, Training and Research Grant, Internet Assisted Meeting (IAM).
Aleksander Keselman, PhD, had an abstract selected for a podium presentation at the American Association of Immunologists meeting, which will be held in Washington, D.C., this May. The abstract is titled “Estrogen Contributes to Sex Differences in M2-Polarization During Asthma.”
Sapna Kudchadkar, MD, was appointed Associate Editor of Pediatric Critical Care Medicine.
Jenny Lee, MD, was elected as an Associate Member of the Association of University Anesthesiologists (AUA). Members of the AUA are recognized by their peers to have made distinguished contributions to anesthesiology teaching or research.
Courtney Masear, MD, and Steve Frank, MD, published a feature article in the March issue of Medical Laboratory Observer [2017;49(3):21-22] titled Best practices for reducing unnecessary preoperative blood orders and associated costs. https://www.mlo-online.com/best-practices-reducing-unnecessary-preoperative-blood-orders-associated-costs
Maeva Nyandjo, a second-year medical student working with Dolores Njoku, won the Paul Ehrlich Research Award for the 2017 Johns Hopkins University Young Investigators’ Day. Her paper was titled “IL-33 modulates Treg responses in a mouse model of drug-induced hepatitis.” She will receive a certificate and cash award at a ceremony in May. Other authors included Merylin Cottagiri and Dolores Njoku.
Srinivasa Raja, MD, has been invited as Visiting Professor to Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Jersey Medical School for April 5-6, 2017.
Adam Schiavi, MD, PhD, gave Grand Rounds in January at the Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery in Havana, Cuba. The talk was titled “An International Perspective on Preserving the Option of Organ Donation for Patients Near the End of Life. In February he gave Grand Rounds at Drexel University College of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology at Hahnemann University Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. That talk was titled “A History of the Management of Cerebrovascular Neurosurgical Patients; Historical Perspectives Leading to Current Practice Trends.”
Jennifer Schutte, MD, has been appointed to the pediatric critical care medicine sub-board of the American Board of Pediatrics for a 6-year term that will run from January 1, 2018, through December 31, 2023.
Robert Stevens, MD, was Grand Rounds speaker for the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, February 21, 2017.
Robert Stevens, MD, was Chair of the Planning Committee for Precision Medicine for Neurocritical Care and Stroke at the Neuroscience in Intensive Care International Symposium, which was held in Washington, D.C., March 2-3, 2017.
Jed Wolpaw, MD, M.Ed, had two abstracts accepted for oral presentation at the Society for Education in Anesthesia: (1) Wolpaw J, Smith S, Scher L, Wright S, Berenholtz S, Benishek L. Measuring anesthesia resident well-being. (2) Wolpaw J. A podcast for anesthesia and critical care education.
Pediatric Anesthesia Fellows
The following research posters were presented by Pediatric Anesthesia Fellows (in bold) at recent Pediatric Anesthesia meetings: Engorn B, Yang W, Visagie M, Wetzler J, Vricella L, Frank S, Goswami D. “Higher Hemoglobin Targets and Increased Adverse Outcomes in Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Patients.” Presented at The Congenital Cardiac Anesthesia Society, 2017 Annual Meeting Professor Rounds and at the Pediatric Anesthesia-American Academy of Pediatrics Pediatric Anesthesiology, 2017 Meeting.
Padover A, George J, Greenberg R, Sternberger W. “An Objective Measure of Neuraxial Block Onset and Offset.” Presented at The Society of Pediatric Pain Medicine 2017 Annual Meeting and at The Society For Pediatric Anesthesia-American Academy of Pediatrics Pediatric Anesthesiology, 2017 Meeting.
Lee W, Vickers B, Hunsberger J. “Sub-anesthetic Ketamine Infusion for Treatment of Cancer-related Pain Produces Urinary Urge Incontinence.” Presented at The Society for Pediatric Anesthesia-American Academy of Pediatrics Pediatric Anesthesiology, 2017 Meeting.
Lui R, Vickers B. “Tunneled Caudal Catheters for Post-Op Management of Bladder Exstrophy Repair Patients.” Presented at The Society for Pediatric Anesthesia-American Academy of Pediatrics Pediatric Anesthesiology, 2017 Meeting.
Smith E, Njoku D. “Quality Improvement – Protected or Not Protected?” Presented at The Society for Pediatric Anesthesia-American Academy of Pediatrics Pediatric Anesthesiology, 2017 Meeting.
Sokoliuk V, Kudchadkar S. “Temporal disorganization of sleep-wake regulation in cerebral palsy patients undergoing major orthopedic surgery.” Presented at The Society for Pediatric Anesthesia-American Academy of Pediatrics Pediatric Anesthesiology, 2017 Meeting.
- Arens C, Koch C, Veit M, Greenberg RS, Lichtenstern C, Weigand MA, Khaleeva A, Schuerg R, Kohl T. Anesthetic management for percutaneous minimally invasive fetoscopic surgery of spina bifida aperta: a retrospective, descriptive report of clinical experience. Anesth Analg 2017; in press.
- Bicket MC, Kattail D, Yaster M, Pronovost P. An analysis of errors discrepancies, and variation in opioid prescriptions for adult outpatients at a teaching hospital. J Opioid Manag 2017; in press.
- Bicket MC, Pasquina PF, Cohen SP. Which regional pain rating best predicts patient-reported improvement in lumbar radiculopathy? Pain Pract 2017; in press.
- Cervenka MC, Hocker S, Koenig M, Bar B, Henry-Barron B, Kossoff EH, Hartman AL, Probasco JC, Benavides DR, Venkatesan A, Hagen EC, Dittrich D, Stern T, Radzik B, Depew M, Caserta FM, Nyquist P, Kaplan PW, Geocadin RG. Phase I/II multicenter ketogenic diet study for adult superrefractory status epilepticus. Neurology 2017; in press.
- Colloca L, Ludman T, Bouhassira D, Baron R, Dickenson AH, Yarnitsky D, Freeman R, Truini A, Attal N, Finnerup NB, Eccleston C, Kalso E, Bennett DL, Dworkin RH, Raja SN. Neuropathic pain. Nat Rev Dis Primers 2017; 3:17002.
- Dinglas VD, Aronson FL, Colantuoni E, Mendez-Tellez PA, Shanholtz CB, Ciesla ND, Pronovost PJ, Needham DM. Muscle weakness and 5-year survival in acute respiratory distress syndrome survivors. Crit Care Med 2017; 45:446-53.
- Erdek MA, Pronovost PJ. The need for an ethics framework for the use of opioids in the treatment of chronic nonmalignant pain. Pain Manag 2017; in press.
- Fan CJ, Hirose K, Walsh CM, Quartuccio M, Desai NM, Singh VK, Kalyani RR, Warren DS, Sun Z, Hanna MN, Makary MA. Laparoscopic total pancreatectomy with islet autotransplantation and intraoperative islet separation as a treatment for patients with chronic pancreatitis. JAMA Surg 2017; in press.
- Jung J, Shilkofski N. Pediatric resuscitation education in low-middle income countries: effective strategies for successful program development. J Pediatr Intensive Care 2017; 6:12-8.
- Kumble S, Zink EK, Burch M, Deluzio S, Stevens RD, Bahouth MN. Physiological effects of early incremental mobilization of a patient with acute intracerebral and intraventricular hemorrhage requiring dual external ventricular drainage. Neurocrit Care 2017; in press.
- Lan X, Han X, Li Q, Li Q, Gao Y, Cheng T, Wan J, Zhu W, Wang J. Pinocembrin protects hemorrhagic brain primarily by inhibiting toll-like receptor 4 and reducing M1 phenotype microglia. Brain Behav Immun 2017; 61:326-39.
- Lee HB, Oldham MA, Sieber FE, Oh ES. Impact of delirium after hip fracture surgery on one-year mortality in patients with or without dementia: a case of effect modification. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2017; 25:308-15.
- Leucker TM, Nomura Y, Kim JH, Bhatta A, Wang V, Wecker A, Jandu SS, Santhanam L, Berkowitz DE, Romer L, Pandey D. Cystathionine gamma lyase protects vascular endothelium: a role for inhibition of histone deacetylase 6. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2017; in press.
- Li Z, Tseng PY, Tiwari V, Xu Q, He SQ, Wang Y, Zheng Q, Han L, Wu Z, Blobaum AL, Cui Y, Tiwari V, Sun S, Cheng Y, Huang-Lionnet JH, Geng Y, Xiao B, Peng J, Hopkins C, Raja SN, Guan Y, Dong X. Targeting human Mas-related G protein-coupled receptor X1 to inhibit persistent pain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2017; in press.
- Merritt WT, Pustavoitau A. Perioperative care for liver transplantation: a review. Int Anesthesiol Clin 2017; in press.
- Obata Y, Ong QJ, Magruder JT, Grichkevitch H, Berkowitz DE, Nyhan D, Steppan J, Barodka V. Noninvasive assessment of the effect of position and exercise on pulse arrival to peripheral vascular beds in healthy volunteers. Front Physiol 2017; 8:47.
- Padula WV, Millis MA, Worku AD, Pronovost PJ, Bridges JF, Meltzer DO. Individualized cost-effectiveness analysis of patient-centered care: a case series of hospitalized patient preferences departing from practice-based guidelines. J Med Econ 2017; 20:288-96.
- Sharma K, Stevens RD. Determinants of prognosis in neurocatastrophes. Handb Clin Neurol 2017; 140:379-95.
- Shilkofski N, Agueh M, Fonseka M, Tan A, Cembrano JR. Pediatric emergency care in disaster-affected areas: a firsthand perspective after typhoons Bopha and Haiyan in the Philippines. J Pediatr Intensive Care 2017; 6:19-27.
- Solomkin J, Gastmeier P, Bischoff P, Latif A, Berenholtz S, Egger M, Allegranzi B. WHO Guidelines to prevent surgical site infections-Authors’ reply. Lancet Infect Dis 2017; 17:262-4.
- Sun S, Xu Q, Guo C, Guan Y, Liu Q, Dong X. Leaky gate model: intensity-dependent coding of pain and itch in the spinal cord. Neuron 2017; 93:840-53.
- Sutcliffe KM, Paine L, Pronovost PJ. Re-examining high reliability: actively organising for safety. BMJ Qual Saf 2017; 26:248-51.
- Unegbu C, Noje C, Coulson JD, Segal JB, Romer L. Pulmonary hypertension therapy and a systematic review of efficacy and safety of PDE-5 inhibitors. Pediatrics 2017; in press.
- Zhang F, Trent MJ, Lin YA, Crawford TC, Grimm JC, Sciortino CM, Wilson MA, Blue ME, Kannan S, Johnston MV, Baumgartner WA, Kannan RM. Generation-6 hydroxyl PAMAM dendrimers improve CNS penetration from intravenous administration in a large animal brain injury model. J Control Release 2017; 249:173-82.
- Zhu L, Maruvada R, Sapirstein A, Peters-Golden M, Kim KS. Cysteinyl leukotrienes as novel host factors facilitating Cryptococcus neoformans penetration into the brain. Cell Microbiol 2017; 19.