Accomplishments and Honors
Peju Adekoya, MD, earned the ACCM CA2 Resident of the Year Award.
Haitham Al-Grain, MD, presented a poster at the American Pain Society Meeting in Pittsburgh titled “The Clinical Efficacy of Repeat Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Patients with Chronic Spine Pain.”
Rebecca Aslakson, MD, PhD, FAAHPM, FCCM, received the ACCM Resident Research Mentor Award.
Weinberg Prep/PACU nurses Rollie Asperin, Jill Goldman, and Patty Guthrie, each achieved CPAN certification. This certification proves that these individuals demonstrate expert knowledge and skills, are committed to quality patient care, contribute to an environment of professionalism, are trusted by patients and their families, and are committed to career development and lifelong learning.
Sean Barnes, MD, MBA, Sapna Kudchadkar, MD, and Robert Greenberg, MD, coauthored “Recapping Pediatric Anesthesiology 2017 (#SPAATX2017)” for the Society for Pediatric Anesthesia quarterly newsletter.
At the American Thoracic Society 2017 International Conference, Sean Barnes, MD, MBA, presented the abstract: “Where Are the Pediatricians? ATS International Meeting Pediatric Content Dissemination and Social Media: A Hashtag Analysis” (coauthor Sapna Kudchadkar, MD), as well as the case report “Aortic Dissection in the Pediatric Patient with Loeys-Dietz Syndrome” (coauthor Dheeraj Goswami, MD).
In May 2017, “The Ivor Berkowitz Educational Excellence Award” was established by the Division of Pediatric Critical Care Medicine to honor Dr. Berkowitz’s longstanding commitment and contribution to the education of medical trainees. This award will be made to a pediatric critical care fellow and selected by residents and junior fellows on the basis of the candidate’s dedication to and impact on the education of trainees in pediatric critical care medicine.
Mary Beth Brady, MD, FASE, presented “TAVR: A Transformative Treatment for Patients with Severe Aortic Stenosis” in the Perioperative Point-of-Care Ultrasound Workshop (PoCUS) at the International Anesthesia Research Society in Washington, DC. She also presented “Echocardiographic Predictors of Failed Aortic Root Replacement” and co-moderated a session titled “The Dilated Aortic Root: When Can the Aortic Valve Be Spared?” at the American Society of Echocardiography Scientific Sessions in Baltimore.
Mary Beth Brady, MD FASE, received the ACCM Best Didactic Teaching Award.
Kristen Brown, DNP, CRNP, PNP-AC, successfully defended her doctoral project: “Preventing Cardiac Arrest in the Postoperative Congenital Heart Disease Patient: A High-fidelity Simulation Boot Camp for Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care Nurse Practitioners,” and graduated from the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program.
At the International Pediatric Society Symposia and Workshop, Kristen Brown, DNP, CRNP, PNP-AC, was awarded the Professors’ Choice for Best Poster for: Brown KM, Mudd SS, Hunt EA, Duval-Arnould J, Perretta J, Nelson-McMillan K. A High-fidelity Simulation Boot Camp for Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care Nurse Practitioners. IPSSW Boston, MA June 1-3, 2017.
Kristen Brown, DNP, CRNP, PNP-AC, was an invited speaker at the International Pediatric Simulation Society Symposia and Workshop on a panel discussion titled “Simulation in Nursing Education from Pre-Licensure to Advanced Practice.”
Yian Chen, MD, earned the ACCM Resident Achievement Award for Test Performance Excellence.
Brian Cho, MD, earned the ACCM Outstanding Resident Award.
Steve Cohen, MD, received the ACCM Resident Research Mentor Award.
Branden Engorn, MD, received the Francis Schwentker Award for Excellence in Research by Residents and Fellows in the Johns Hopkins Hospital Department of Pediatrics. As part of this award he presented Pediatric Grand Rounds, where he discussed a recent manuscript that was published in Pediatric Anesthesia entitled “Perioperative hypothermia in neonatal intensive care unit patients: effectiveness of a thermoregulation intervention and associated risk factors.” His research mentors were Robert Greenberg and Genie Heitmiller.
Branden Engorn, MD, received the ACCM Mark Rossberg, MD, Award for Outstanding Pediatric Anesthesia Fellow Teaching Award.
Steve Frank, MD, had a paper that was featured on the cover of the May issue of the journal Transfusion, along with an editorial. The paper was titled “Single unit transfusions and hemoglobin trigger: Relative impact on red cell utilization” and was listed as “in press” in the February Congratulations email.
Stephen Freiberg, MD, earned the ACCM Elizabeth Martinez, MD, Leadership Award.
Robert Greenberg, MD, Wayne Sternberger, PhD, and Jessica George, MD, published a correspondence letter online in Anaesthesia titled Monitoring regional nerve blockade: Anaesthesia 72:S1 (April 2017).
Mike Grant, MD, received the ACCM Rising Faculty Award.
Yun Guan, PhD, was invited to join the Editorial Board of Molecular Pain.
Nikki Heller, PhD, was an invited speaker and participant at an NIAID-sponsored workshop on “Gender Differences in Asthma” on June 1.
Laeben Lester, MD, received the ACCM Most Innovative Teaching Award.
Steve Levin, MD, was featured in an article titled “Managing Pain: Opioid Alternatives” in the summer issue of Howard County General Hospital’s Wellness Matters. Dr. Levin is the director of the chronic pain clinic at HCGH. http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/howard_county_general_hospital/_downloads/wellness/WellnessMattersSummer2017.pdf
Qing Lin, MD, PhD, spoke at the American Thoracic Society (ATS) 2017 Conference. The title of the talk was “HIMF/HMGB1 Signaling Axis Mediates Vascular Inflammation in the Pathogenesis of Pulmonary Hypertension” and was co-authored by Chunling Fan, Kazuyo Yamaji-Kegan, John Skinner, Katrien Van Raemdonck, and Roger Johns.
William Merritt, MD, and Aliaksei Pustavoitau, MD, were guest editors on the Spring 2017 issue of the monograph International Anesthesia Clinics. The title of the issue was A Comprehensive Review of Issues Affecting Liver Transplantation, and 23 national and international experts in perioperative care for liver transplantation contributed to the publication.
David Mintz, MD, PhD, received the ACCM Charles Beattie, MD, Teaching Award.
The Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine named a clinical teaching award in honor of Dr. Scott Mittman for his excellence in educating residents.
Dolores Njoku, MD, gave the Dr. James Phythyon Endowed Lecture in Pediatric Anesthesiology at Vanderbilt.
Sinead Nyhan, MD, earned the ACCM CA3 Resident of the Year Award.
Nicole Rizkalla, MD, received the ACCM Scott Mittman Clinical Teaching Award.
Jamie Schwartz, MD, gave Grand Rounds at St. Agnes Hospital in Baltimore. Her talk was titled “Pediatric Anesthesia for the Pediatrician: Information for Perioperative Advocacy.”
Deborah Schwengel, MD, was recognized for her 10 years of leadership to ACCM resident education.
Mary Scott-Herring, DNP, MS, CRNA, was elected to serve as a member of the Nominating Committee of the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists for the 2017-2018 term.
Jessica Serini, DO, and Mat Varghese, MD, MBA, earned the ACCM CA1 Resident of the Year Award.
Robert Stevens, MD, was accepted for Fellowship in the American College of Critical Care Medicine (FCCM).
Robert Stevens, MD, is co-director of the Neuroscience in Intensive Care International Symposium (NICIS) being held in Paris this month.
Jaki Stokes, MEHP, was awarded a Master of Education in the Health Professions from the Johns Hopkins School of Education. The degree includes a Post-Master’s Certificate in Evidence-Based Teaching in the Health Professions.
Irfan Suleman, MD, gave two invited lectures in May. He presented “Multidisciplinary Pediatric Chronic Pain” to nurse practitioners at the Chesapeake Chapter-NAPNAP Spring 2017 Conference on May 5, and “Ultrasound-Guided Brachial Plexus Block with Live Demo” for PM&R residents at Johns Hopkins on May 9.
Irfan Suleman, MD, was CME Co-Chair for the 7th Annual JSMUAANA Retreat held May 4–6 in New York.
Tracey Stierer, MD, was granted Fellow status in the American Academy of Sleep Medicine by the Board of Directors. Fellow status in the AASM is a unique honor that recognizes special competency in sleep medicine and significant contributions to the field.
Robert Thomsen, MD, was chosen as a Fellow of the American Society of Anesthesiologists. Fellows are chosen for their demonstrated leadership and dedication to the field of Anesthesiology.
Bobby Thorwarth, MD, earned the ACCM Zenobia Casey, MD, Citizenship Award.
Liz Tucker, MD, was promoted to Assistant Professor.
Liz Tucker, MD, gave an invited presentation titled “Rabbit Model of TB Meningitis in Children” at the NIH TB Meningitis Workshop in May.
Jian Wang, MD, PhD, was invited to be on the editorial board of the journal Phytomedicine and was invited to be on the American Heart Association Brain 1 study section.
Jed Wolpaw, MD, M.Ed, received the ACCM Residency Advocacy Award.
Barbara Vickers, MD, was promoted to Assistant Professor in April.
Rebecca Aslakson, MD, PhD, FAAHPM, FCCM, received a 1-year, $90,000 grant from the National Palliative Care Research Center for her proposal titled “What Palliative Care can be ‘Baked in’ to a Preoperative Assessment? – Operationalizing Primary Palliative Care in Surgical Settings.”
Weidong Gao, MD, received an AHA Grant-in-Aid for his work entitled “Myofilament Desensitization in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy in Mice.”
Xi Lan, PhD, a postdoctoral fellow in Dr. Jian Wang’s lab, received an AHA postdoctoral fellowship for her project titled “Role of Soluble Epoxide Hydrolase in Gray and White Matter Injury After Intracerebral Hemorrhage.” The grant will provide 2 years of funding.
Jenny Lee is co-investigator on an AHA Grant-in-Aid that was funded. It is a two-center study between Johns Hopkins and the Children’s National Health System titled “Novel Measures of Dysfunctional Autoregulation as Biomarkers of Brain Injury in Perinatal Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy.”
Lew Romer, MD, and David Gracias, PhD (Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering), were awarded a 3-year grant titled “Bioorigami Hydrogels Composed of Natural and Synthetic Biomaterials” from the National Science Foundation’s Division of Materials Research.
Jian Wang, MD, PhD, was awarded a 2-year Grant-in Aid from the AHA for his project titled “20-HETE and Hemorrhagic Brain Injury.”
- Aboumatar HJ, Weaver SJ, Rees D, Rosen MA, Sawyer MD, Pronovost PJ. Towards high-reliability organising in healthcare: a strategy for building organisational capacity. BMJ Qual Saf 2017; in press.
- Algrain H, Liu A, Singh S, Vu TN, Cohen SP. Cervical epidural depth: correlation between cervical MRI measurements of the skin-to-cervical epidural space and the actual needle depth during interlaminar cervical epidural injections. Pain Med 2017; in press.
- Aslakson RA, Beach MC. Looking beyond the tip of a tusk: balancing the evidence in prognosis-related communication. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2017; in press.
- Aslakson RA, Lorenz K. Being CAREFuL about improving end-of-life care in hospitals. Lancet 2017; in press.
- Bhatia A, Nelson A, Cohen SP. Breaking bad (tissue): epidural adhesiolysis and its outcomes. Anesth Analg 2017; 124:1755-7.
- Cerullo M, Gani F, Chen SY, Canner JK, Yang WW, Frank SM, Pawlik TM. Physiologic correlates of intraoperative blood transfusion among patients undergoing major gastrointestinal operations. Surgery 2017; in press.
- Chakravarthy K, Chen Y, He C, Christo PJ. Stem cell therapy for chronic pain management: review of uses, advances, and adverse effects. Pain Physician 2017; 20:293-305.
- Chang F, Flavahan S, Flavahan NA. Impaired activity of adherens junctions contributes to endothelial dilator dysfunction in aging rat arteries. J Physiol 2017; in press.
- Chime NO, Riese VG, Scherzer DJ, Perretta JS, McNamara L, Rosen MA, Hunt EA. Epinephrine auto-injector versus drawn up epinephrine for anaphylaxis management: a scoping review. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2017; in press.
- Colbert-Getz JM, Ryan M, Hennessey E, Lindeman B, Pitts B, Rutherford KA, Schwengel D, Sozio SM, George J, Jung J. Measuring assessment quality with an assessment utility rubric for medical education. MedEdPORTAL Publications 2017; 13:10588.
- Grant MC, Sommer PM, He C, Li S, Page AJ, Stone AB, Hobson D, Wick E, Wu CL. Preserved analgesia with reduction in opioids through the use of an acute pain protocol in enhanced recovery after surgery for open hepatectomy. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2017; in press.
- Guris RD. Assessment in medical education focuses too narrowly on test scores. Acad Med 2017; 92:733-4.
- Jernberg JN, Bowman CE, Wolfgang MJ, Scafidi S. Developmental regulation and localization of carnitine palmitoyltransferases (CPTs) in rat brain. J Neurochem 2017; in press.
- Kochanek PM, Kudchadkar SR, Kissoon N. Guiding pediatric critical care medicine toward a bigger “impression” in 2017 and beyond. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2017; 18:403-4.
- Lan X, Han X, Li Q, Yang QW, Wang J. Modulators of microglial activation and polarization after intracerebral haemorrhage. Nat Rev Neurol 2017; in press.
- Li Q, Wan J, Lan X, Han X, Wang Z, Wang J. Neuroprotection of brain-permeable iron chelator VK-28 against intracerebral hemorrhage in mice. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 2017; in press.
- Mehta A, Hutfless S, Blair AB, Dwarakanath A, Wyman CI, Adrales G, Nguyen HT. Emergency department utilization and predictors of mortality for inpatient inguinal hernia repairs. J Surg Res 2017; 212:270-7.
- Shrot S, Poretti A, Tucker EW, Soares BP, Huisman TA. Acute brain injury following illicit drug abuse in adolescent and young adult patients: spectrum of neuroimaging findings. Neuroradiol J 2017; 30:144-50.
- Sikorski RA, Rizkalla NA, Yang WW, Frank SM. Autologous blood salvage in the era of patient blood management. Vox Sang 2017; in press.
- Stevens RD, Zink EK. Inflammatory signatures in ICU-acquired weakness. Crit Care Med 2017; 45:1098-100.
- Su S, Shao J, Zhao Q, Ren X, Cai W, Li L, Bai Q, Chen X, Xu B, Wang J, Cao J, Zang W. MiR-30b attenuates neuropathic pain by regulating voltage-gated sodium channel Nav1.3 in rats. Front Mol Neurosci 2017; 10:126.
- Wang J, Lu Z, Fu X, Zhang D, Yu L, Li N, Gao Y, Liu X, Yin C, Ke J, Li L, Zhai M, Wu S, Fan J, Lv L, Liu J, Chen X, Yang Q, Wang J. Alpha-7 nicotinic receptor signaling pathway participates in the neurogenesis induced by ChAT-positive neurons in the subventricular zone. Transl Stroke Res 2017; in press.
- Wick EC, Grant MC, Wu CL. Postoperative multimodal analgesia pain management with nonopioid analgesics and techniques: A review. JAMA Surg 2017; in press.
- Williams M, Zhang Z, Nance E, Drewes JL, Lesniak WG, Singh S, Chugani DC, Rangaramanujam K, Graham DR, Kannan S. Maternal inflammation results in altered tryptophan metabolism in rabbit placenta and fetal brain. Dev Neurosci 2017; in press.
- Zhang X, Zheng W, Xu H, Huang X, Ren P, Zou H, Liu G, Wang J, Ma X. Pharmacokinetic study of representative anti-oxidative compounds from Denshen-Chuanxiong-Honghua following oral administration in rats. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2017; 1052:82-90.
- Zink EK, Geocadin RG. Progressive mobility program in a Neuro-ICU: what makes It different? Crit Care Med 2017; 45:1101-2.
Books and Book Chapters
Steppan J, Maxwell BG. Congenital heart disease. In: Hines RL, Marscall KE (eds) Stoelting’s Anesthesia and Co-existing Disease, 7th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2018:129-149.