Accomplishments and Honors
Mete Akin, MD, MPH, was appointed Medical Director of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation at Sibley Memorial Hospital.
Sean Barnes, MD, MBA, gave an invited talk at the American Delirium Society’s 2017 Annual Conference in Nashville, TN, titled “2016-2017 Delirium Literature Update: Year in Review for Pediatric Delirium.” He also presented an abstract at the meeting titled “Characterizing Collaborations with Child Psychiatry in the Management of PICU Delirium.” Sapna Kudchadkar was a coauthor.
Yun Guan, MD, PhD, was invited to speak at the 5th International Biomedical Forum of China, which will be held in Shihezi, Xinjiang, China in August. He will speak on “Developing Pharmacotherapies with Limited Central Adverse Effects in Chronic Pain Treatment.”
Marie Hanna, MD, received one of the Top Egyptian Women awards during the National Council for Women in Cairo.
Nadia Hensley, MD, presented Grand Rounds at George Washington University. The title was “Perioperative Management of Patients with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM) for Noncardiac Procedures.”
Sapna Kudchadkar, MD, was awarded a secondary appointment as Assistant Professor in the Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Medicine.
Paul Nyquist, MD, MPH, spoke on “Haptoglobin in Cerebral Hemorrhage at Johns Hopkins University” at the HATCH Consortium meeting, which was held in the University of South Hampton, Winchester, United Kingdom. He also presented “Preliminary GWAs of MRI volume of Deep & Periventricular WMHs” at the International Stroke Genetics Consortium in Houston.
Saheel Patel, MSN, CRNA, was certified in Lean Sigma through the Armstrong Institute Lean Sigma training program.
Srinivasa Raja, MD, was one of a select group of invitees of NIH director Francis Collins to participate in a meeting on “Understanding the Neurobiological Mechanisms of Pain” on July 7, 2017, in Bethesda. The gathering was intended to enhance our understanding of the complexity of pain mechanisms and accelerate development of novel pain treatments. The meeting was part of the “Cutting Edge Science Meeting Series to end the Opioid Crisis.
Mary Scott-Herring, DNP, MS, CRNA, was accepted into the 2017 Armstrong Institute Patient Safety and Quality Leadership Academy. This is a 9-month program that prepares future leaders to transform the clinical healthcare setting by eliminating harm and creating a culture of caring.
Jian Wang, MD, PhD, was invited to serve as an ad hoc reviewer for the NIH Neural Trauma and Stroke Study section in the June cycle and for the French ARSEP Foundation.
Thanks to the leadership of Dr. Steven Frank, the Johns Hopkins Hospital was awarded certification by The Joint Commission and the American Association of Blood Banks for their Patient Blood Management Program. This makes JHH the second hospital in the US to become certified for this activity.
A press release has been issued for an article published by Dr. David Mintz’s group (number 14 below).
The two articles published by Dr. Kayode Williams (numbers 2 and 3 below), based on his work at the Blaustein Pain Center, will be used to teach healthcare operations in business schools and are featured in an editorial in the special issue of that journal.
Kazuyo Yamaji-Kegan, PhD, had a write up in the North American Vascular Biology Organization’s newsletter, NewsBEAT, for her award of a 2017 Proof of Concept grant from the American Thorasic Society/Pulmonary Hypertension Association.
Matt Betz, DO, matched for a Cardiac Anesthesia fellowship at Johns Hopkins.
Sucie Chang, MD, PhD, matched for a Cardiac Anesthesia fellowship at Johns Hopkins.
JR Fan, MD, matched for a Cardiac Anesthesia fellowship at Johns Hopkins.
Youn Hoa Jung, MD, matched for an ICU fellowship at Johns Hopkins.
Sonia John, MD, matched for an ICU fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Rob Sickeler, MD, matched for a Cardiac Anesthesia fellowship at Cornell.
Giancarlo Suffredini, MD, matched for a Cardiac Anesthesia fellowship at Johns Hopkins.
Scott Vandiver, MD, PhD, matched for an ICU fellowship at UCLA.
Anne Marie Walters, MD, matched for a Cardiac Anesthesia fellowship at Cleveland Clinic.
Sapna Kudchadkar, MD, received a grant from the Thomas Wilson Sanitarium for Children of Baltimore City for a multidisciplinary proposal entitled “Diagnosing ICU-acquired Weakness to Optimize Functional Outcomes in Critically Ill Children,” a collaboration with Physical Therapy.
Drs. Ernie Graham (Ob/Gyn), Emad Boctor (Radiology and Computer Science), and Raymond Koehler received a Johns Hopkins Discovery Award entitled “Optoacoustic-based Intrapartum Fetal Brain Monitoring to Prevent Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy.” Preliminary data for this grant was generated with the help of a StAAR award and an ATIP award.
- Burjek NE, Nishisaki A, Fiadjoe JE, Adams HD, Peeples KN, Raman VT, Olomu PN, Kovatsis PG, Jagannathan N. Videolaryngoscopy versus fiber-optic intubation through a supraglottic airway in children with a difficult airway: an analysis from the Multicenter Pediatric Difficult Intubation Registry. Anesthesiology 2017; in press.
- Chambers C, Williams K. Case—Miller Pain Treatment Center. INFORMS Transactions on Education 2017; 17:121-7.
- Chambers C, Williams K. Case Article—Miller Pain Treatment Center—Eastern Hospital Outpatient Center. INFORMS Transactions on Education 2017; 17:116-20.
- Chen X, Xue B, Li Y, Song C, Jia P, Ren X, Zang W, Wang J. Meta-analysis of stem cell transplantation for reflex hypersensitivity after spinal cord injury. Neuroscience 2017; in press.
- Dalesio NM, Lee CKK, Hendrix CW. In response. Anesth Analg 2017; 125:362-3.
- Debette S, Saba Y, Vojinovic D, Jian X, Adams H, Chauhan G, Sargurupremraj M, Kaffashian S, Ding J, Bis JC, Nyquist P, Mather K, Van DC, Launer LJ, Ikram MA, Schmidt H, Longstreth WT, Fornage M, Seshadri S. 19th Workshop of the International Stroke Genetics Consortium, April 28-29, 2016, Boston, Massachusetts, USA: 2016.001 MRI-defined cerebrovascular genomics-The CHARGE consortium. Neurol Genet 2017; 3:S2-S11.
- Ejaz A, Schmidt C, Johnston FM, Frank SM, Pawlik TM. Risk factors and prediction model for inpatient surgical site infection after major abdominal surgery. J Surg Res 2017; in press.
- Fung AWS, Beriault D, Diamandis EP, Burnham CD, Dorman T, Downing M, Hayden J, Langford BJ. The role of procalcitonin in diagnosis of sepsis and antibiotic stewardship: opportunities and challenges. Clin Chem 2017; in press.
- Guo S, Lai C, Wu C, Cen G. Conversion discriminative analysis on mild cognitive impairment using multiple cortical features from MR images. Front Aging Neurosci 2017; 9:146.
- Herrup EA, Wieczorek B, Kudchadkar SR. Characteristics of postintensive care syndrome in survivors of pediatric critical illness: a systematic review. World J Crit Care Med 2017; 6:124-34.
- Hibar DP, Adams HH, Jahanshad N, … Nyquist P, … Niessen WJ. Novel genetic loci associated with hippocampal volume. Nat Commun 2017; 8:13624.
- Hicks CW, Liu J, Yang WW, DiBrito SR, Johnson DJ, Brito A, Higgins RSD, Frank SM, Wick EC. A comprehensive Choosing Wisely quality improvement initiative reduces unnecessary transfusions in an academic department of surgery. Am J Surg 2017; in press.
- Hwang M, De Jong RMJ, Herman S, Boss R, Riggs B, Tekes-Brady A, Spevak M, Poretti A, Soares BP, Bailey CR, Dunn E, Shin SS, Shrot S, Huisman TAGM. Novel contrast-enhanced ultrasound evaluation in neonatal hypoxic ischemic injury: clinical application and future directions. J Ultrasound Med 2017; in press.
- Kang E, Jiang D, Ryu YK, Lim S, Kwak M, Gray CD, Xu M, Choi JH, Junn S, Kim J, Xu J, Schaefer M, Johns RA, Song H, Ming GL, Mintz CD. Early postnatal exposure to isoflurane causes cognitive deficits and disrupts development of newborn hippocampal neurons via activation of the mTOR pathway. PLoS Biol 2017; 15:e2001246.
- Krishnan U, Feinstein JA, Adatia I, Austin ED, Mullen MP, Hopper RK, Hanna B, Romer L, Keller RL, Fineman J, Steinhorn R, Kinsella JP, Ivy DD, Rosenzweig EB, Raj U, Humpl T, Abman SH. Evaluation and management of pulmonary hypertension in children with bronchopulmonary dysplasia. J Pediatr 2017; in press.
- Li Z, Singh S, Suryavanshi SV, Ding W, Shen X, Wijaya CS, Gao WD, McConnell BK. Force development and intracellular Ca2+ in intact cardiac muscles from gravin mutant mice. Eur J Pharmacol 2017; 807:117-26.
- Maher DP, Cohen SP. Medical marijuana research for chronic pain. Lancet Psychiatry 2017; 4:513-5.
- Nemeth CL, Drummond GT, Mishra MK, Zhang F, Carr P, Garcia MS, Doman S, Fatemi A, Johnston MV, Kannan RM, Kannan S, Wilson MA. Uptake of dendrimer-drug by different cell types in the hippocampus after hypoxic-ischemic insult in neonatal mice: effects of injury, microglial activation and hypothermia. Nanomedicine 2017; in press.
- Nyquist PA, Hagerman R. Genetics, white matter, and cognition: the effects of methylation on FMR1. Neurology 2017; 88:2070-1.
- Riley CM, Merritt AD, Mize JM, Schuette JJ, Berger JT. Assuring sustainable gains in interdisciplinary performance improvement: creating a shared mental model during operating room to cardiac ICU handoff. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2017; in press.
- Rivera-Lara L, Geocadin R, Zorrilla-Vaca A, Healy R, Radzik BR, Palmisano C, Mirski M, Ziai WC, Hogue C. Validation of near-infrared spectroscopy for monitoring cerebral autoregulation in comatose patients. Neurocrit Care 2017; in press.
- Shapiro MC, Donohue PK, Kudchadkar SR, Hutton N, Boss RD. Professional responsibility, consensus, and conflict: a survey of physician decisions for the chronically critically ill in neonatal and pediatric intensive care units. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2017; in press.
- Shu B, Yang F, Guan Y. Intra-spinal microstimulation may alleviate chronic pain after spinal cord injury. Med Hypotheses 2017; 104:73-7.
- Smith SM, Dworkin RH, Turk DC, Baron R, Polydefkis M, Tracey I, Borsook D, Edwards RR, Harris RE, Wager TD, Arendt-Nielsen L, Burke LB, Carr DB, Chappell A, Farrar JT, Freeman R, Gilron I, Goli V, Haeussler J, Jensen T, Katz NP, Kent J, Kopecky EA, Lee DA, Maixner W, Markman JD, McArthur JC, McDermott MP, Parvathenani L, Raja SN, Rappaport BA, Rice ASC, Rowbotham MC, Tobias JK, Wasan AD, Witter J. The potential role of sensory testing, skin biopsy, and functional brain imaging as biomarkers in chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT considerations. J Pain 2017; 18:757-77.
- Stanhewicz AE, Jandu S, Santhanam L, Alexander LM. Increased angiotensin II sensitivity contributes to microvascular dysfunction in women who have had preeclampsia. Hypertension 2017; in press.
- Stone AB, Wick EC, Wu CL, Grant MC. The US opioid crisis: a role for enhanced recovery after surgery. Anesth Analg 2017; in press.
- Thornton KC, Schwarz JJ, Gross AK, Anderson WG, Liu KD, Romig MC, Schell-Chaple H, Pronovost PJ, Sapirstein A, Gropper MA, Lipshutz AKM. Preventing harm in the ICU–building a culture of safety and engaging patients and families. Crit Care Med 2017; in press.