Accomplishments and Honors
Christopher Abruzzese, DO, presented the poster “Blood Loss in Pediatric Population Getting Craniofacial Surgery” at the SPA conference in Austin TX. His mentor was Nick Dalesio.
Jessica Berger, MD, presented the poster “Clinical Case: A 37 y/o Woman with Preeclampsia and Respiratory Failure” at the 2017 conference of the American Medical Women’s Association. Her Mentor was Tina Tran.
Meghan Bernier, MD, a fourth year PICU fellow, was awarded the Pearl M. Stetler Research Fellowship Award for Women Physicians for 2017.
Jason Brookman, MD, gave Grand Rounds at Massachusetts General Hospital in February and was one of the teaching faculty for the JHMI Perioperative Medicine course held on Marco Island in March.
Natalia Diaz-Rodriguez, MD, a pediatrics/anesthesia resident, won the Frank L. Coulson Miller Jr. award.
Natalia Diaz-Rodriguez, MD, presented the poster “Can We Predict a Difficult Airway?” at the SPA conference in Austin TX. Her mentor was Nick Dalesio.
Lilly Engineer, MD, DrPH, MHA, was selected to serve on the 2017 Board of Examiners as a national-level examiner for the National Baldridge Performance Excellence program.
Nicole Grass, MS, CRNA, presented at the Sub-specialties in Nurse Anesthesia Conference at the York College in Pennsylvania in March 2017. Her presentation, “The Role of the Nurse Anesthetist in the Electrophysiology Lab,” highlighted the typical and atypical cases seen in the EP lab, the challenges faced, and the knowledge required to provide safe and effective care to patients undergoing these procedures.
Theresa Hartsell, MD, PhD, was invited to speak at KoreAnesthesia 2017. This event is the Korean version of the annual ASA meeting and will be held in Seoul in November.
Dan Hottinger, MD, presented the poster “A study of Pediatric Lawn Mower Injuries” at the SPA conference in Austin TX. His mentors were Deb Schwengel and Rahul Koka.
Aleksander Keselman, PhD, a postdoctoral fellow working with Nikki Heller, was invited to present his research as an oral abstract at the upcoming American Association of Immunologists annual meeting, immunology’s premier international event, in Washington DC.
Sophia Koessel, MD, presented the poster “Avoiding Weakness—A Case of Successful Regional Nerve Block in a Patient with Inclusion Body Myositis” at the 2017 conference of the American Medical Women’s Association. Her mentor was Kara Segna.
Sarah Nelson, MD, had a poster accepted at the European Stroke Organisation Conference, to be held in Prague, Czech Republic. Nelson S, Mould A, Thompson R, Dlugash R, Awad I, Hanley DF, Ziai W. Primary Intraventricular Hemorrhage in the CLEAR III Trial.
Courtney Robertson, MD, gave an invited lecture titled “Pediatric TBI: Unique Responses of the Developing Brain to Injury” at the National Capital Area TBI Research Symposium.
Jeffrey Sagel, DO, was appointed to another term on the Maryland Board of Physicians Perfusion Advisory Committee (July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2020).
Deborah Schwengel, MD, was elected to the ASA Patient Safety Editorial Board.
Mary Scott-Herring, DNP, MS, CRNA, successfully completed her DNP Project “The Implementation and Evaluation of a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist Preceptor/Mentorship Program,” on March 28, 2017.
Nicole Shilkofski, MD, MEd, gave a keynote address on “The Science Behind the Pediatric Resuscitation Guidelines” at the MEDICS 2017 conference on medical student education in Bucharest and was a visiting professor at the Carol Davila School of Medicine and Pharmacy in Bucharest, Romania.
Irfan Suleman, MD, was course director of the First Ultrasound-Guided Pediatric Chronic Interventional Pain Workshop, at the Society for Pediatric Pain Medicine Annual Meeting held March 2nd in Austin TX.
Zhi “Elena” Zhang, PhD, gave an invited research presentation titled “Temporal Changes in Neuroinflammation and Tryptophan Pathway in a Rabbit Model of Pediatric Traumatic Brain Injury” during the Neuroinflammation Session of the National Capital Area TBI Research Symposium.
Respiratory Therapy has had perfect, 100%, hand hygiene results for 4 months in a row. This achievement will be recognized with a picture of the Respiratory Therapy group on Johns Hopkins Hospital screen savers.
Meghan Bernier, MD, received the 2016 Christen White Cranford Pediatric Pulmonary Hypertension Research and Mentoring Grant through the Pulmonary Hypertension Association’s Robyn J Barst Pediatric Pulmonary Hypertension Fund.
Charles Brown, MD, was awarded a K23 Mentored Career Development Award for his proposal “Prevention and Consequences of Postoperative Delirium.”
- Castillo RC, Raja SN, Frey KP, Vallier HA, Tornetta P, III, Jaeblon T, Goff BJ, Gottschalk A, Scharfstein DO, O’Toole RV. Improving pain management and long-term outcomes following high-energy orthopaedic trauma (pain study). J Orthop Trauma 2017; 31 Suppl 1:S71-S77.
- Chang CF, Wan J, Li Q, Renfroe SC, Heller N, Wang J. Alternative activation-skewed microglia/macrophages promote hematoma resolution in experimental intracerebral hemorrhage. Neurobiol Dis 2017; in press.
- Chen W, Frank SM. Patient blood management. Anesth Analg 2017; in press.
- Cheng A, Lin Y, Nadkarni V, Wan B, Duff J, Brown L, Bhanji F, Kessler D, Tofil N, Hecker K, Hunt EA. The effect of step stool use and provider height on CPR quality during pediatric cardiac arrest: A simulation-based multicentre study. CJEM 2017; 1-9.
- Cure P, Bembea M, Chou S, Doctor A, Eder A, Hendrickson J, Josephson CD, Mast AE, Savage W, Sola-Visner M, Spinella P, Stanworth S, Steiner M, Mondoro T, Zou S, Levy C, Waclawiw M, El KN, Glynn S, Luban NL. 2016 Proceedings of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute’s scientific priorities in pediatric transfusion medicine. Transfusion 2017; in press.
- Diebo BG, Jalai CM, Challier V, Marascalchi BJ, Horn SR, Poorman GW, Bono OJ, Cherkalin D, Worley N, Oh J, Naziri Q, Spitzer A, Radcliff K, Patel A, Lafage V, Paulino CB, Passias PG. Novel index to quantify the risk of surgery in the setting of adult spinal deformity: a study on 10,912 patients from the nationwide inpatient sample. Clin Spine Surg 2017; in press.
- Flavahan NA. In development …a new paradigm for understanding vascular disease. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 2017; in press.
- Haskins SC, Tsui BC, Nejim JA, Wu CL, Boublik J. Lung ultrasound for the regional anesthesiologist and acute pain specialist. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2017; in press.
- Hayanga HK, Barnett DJ, Shallow NR, Roberts M, Thompson CB, Bentov I, Demiralp G, Winters D, Schwengel DA. Anesthesiologists and disaster medicine: a needs assessment for education and training and reportted willingness to respond. Anesth Analg 2017; in press.
- Hori D, Dunkerly-Eyring B, Nomura Y, Biswas D, Steppan J, Henao-Mejia J, Adachi H, Santhanam L, Berkowitz DE, Steenbergen C, Flavell RA, Das S. miR-181b regulates vascular stiffness age dependently in part by regulating TGF-beta signaling. Plos One 2017; 12:e0174108.
- Hunt EA, Duval-Arnould JM, Chime NO, Jones K, Rosen M, Hollingsworth M, Aksamit D, Twilley M, Camacho C, Nogee DP, Jung J, Nelson-McMillan K, Shilkofski N, Perretta JS. Integration of in-hospital cardiac arrest contextual curriculum into a basic life support course: a randomized, controlled simulation study. Resuscitation 2017; 114:127-32.
- Jalai CM, Wang C, Marascalchi BJ, Horn SR, Poorman GW, Bono OJ, Frempong-Boadu AK, Passias PG. Trends in the presentation, surgical treatment, and outcomes of tethered cord syndrome: A nationwide study from 2001 to 2010. J Clin Neurosci 2017; in press.
- Kannan G, Kambhampati SP, Kudchadkar SR. Effect of anesthetics on microglial activation and nanoparticle uptake: Implications for drug delivery in traumatic brain injury. J Control Release 2017; in press.
- Kapural L, Gilmore CA, Chae J, Rauck RL, Cohen SP, Saulino MF, Wongsarnpigoon A, McGee MJ, Boggs JW. Percutaneous peripheral nerve stimulation for the treatment of chronic low back pain: two clinical case reports of sustained pain relief. Pain Pract 2017; in press.
- Kostibas MP, Arora V, Gorin MA, Ball MW, Pierorazio PM, Allaf ME, Nyhan D, Brady MB. Defining the role of intraoperative transesophageal echocardiography during radical nephrectomy with inferior vena cava tumor thrombectomy for renal cell carcinoma. Urology 2017; in press.
- Maher DP, Ding W, Singh S, Opalacz A, Fishman C, Houghton M, Ahmed S, Chen L, Mao J, Zhang Y. Thermal QST phenotypes associated with response to lumbar epidural steroid injections: a pilot study. Pain Med 2017; in press.
- Morparia KG, Reddy SK, Olivieri LJ, Spaeder MC, Schuette JJ. Respiratory variation in peak aortic velocity accurately predicts fluid responsiveness in children undergoing neurosurgery under general anesthesia. J Clin Monit Comput 2017; in press.
- Nakagawa TA, Mathur M. To see or not to see: ultrasound as an ancillary study to determine brain death. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2017; 18:284-5.
- Obata Y, Mizogami M, Singh S, Nyhan D, Berkowitz DE, Steppan J, Barodka V. Ejection time: influence of hemodynamics and site of measurement in the arterial tree. Hypertens Res 2017; in press.
- Obata Y, Ruzankin P, Ong QJ, Berkowitz DE, Berger RD, Steppan J, Barodka V. The impact of posture on the cardiac depolarization and repolarization phases of the QT interval in healthy subjects. J Electrocardiol 2017; in press.
- Odonkor CA, Christiansen S, Chen Y, Sathiyakumar A, Chaudhry H, Cinquegrana D, Lange J, He C, Cohen SP. Factors associated with missed appointments at an academic pain treatment center: a prospective year-long longitudinal study. Anesth Analg 2017; in press.
- Papangelou A, Kulikowicz E, Toung TJ. Laryngeal mask airway for urine collection in anesthetized rats. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl ) 2017; in press.
- Patel PA, Ackermann AM, Augoustides JGT, Ender J, Gutsche JT, Giri J, Vallabhajosyula P, Desai ND, Kostibas M, Brady MB, Eoh EJ, Gaca JG, Thompson A, Fitzsimons MG. Anesthetic evolution in transcatheter aortic valve replacement: expert perspectives from high-volume academic centers in Europe and the United States. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2017; in press.
- Prabhakar A, Cefalu JN, Rowe JS, Kaye AD, Urman RD. Techniques to optimize multimodal analgesia in ambulatory surgery. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2017; 21:24.
- Pronovost PJ, Weaver SJ, Berenholtz SM, Lubomski LH, Maragakis LL, Marsteller JA, Pham JC, Sawyer MD, Thompson DA, Weeks K, Rosen MA. Reducing preventable harm: observations on minimizing bloodstream infections. J Health Organ Manag 2017; 31:2-9.
- Rivera-Lara L, Zorrilla-Vaca A, Geocadin R, Ziai W, Healy R, Thompson R, Smielewski P, Czosnyka M, Hogue CW. Predictors of outcome with cerebral autoregulation monitoring: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Crit Care Med 2017; 45:695-704.
- Rivera-Lara L, Ziai W, Nyquist P. Management of infections associated with neurocritical care. Handb Clin Neurol 2017; 140:365-78.
- Schein OD, Pronovost PJ. A preoperative medical history and physical should not be a requirement for all cataract patients. J Gen Intern Med 2017; in press.
- Wang W, Li M, Wang Y, Wang Z, Zhang W, Guan F, Chen Q, Wang J. GSK-3b as a target for protection against transient cerebral ischemia. Int J Med Sci 2017; 14:333-9.
- Zorrilla-Vaca A, Healy RJ, Wu CL, Grant MC. Relation between bispectral index measurements of anesthetic depth and postoperative mortality: a meta-analysis of observational studies. Can J Anaesth 2017; in press.
Books and Book Chapters
Li Q, Wang J. Animal models: cerebral hemorrhage. In Caplan LR, Biller J, Leary MC, Lo EH, Thomas AJ, Yenari M, Zhang JH (eds) Primer on Cerebrovascular Diseases, 2nd edition. San Diego: Academic Press, 2017; 306-311.